Sunday, April 21, 2019

Window Boxes

Pieced back
Happy Easter! May your celebrations be full of fun and love.

Today, I'm sharing a book club quilt. In 2014, our book club read "The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappears." I was struck by the character crawling out the window and stepping through the window box full of flowers. I had won a cd of embroidery designs and I decided those could be my flowers.

My friend Martha had been on a trip and she brought me back the two purple print "Pickle Dish" fabrics. The rest of the fabrics came from my stash.
Quilting in one of the designs

Label
I stitched all but one of the embroidery designs twice. The second time I stitched the design, I altered the colors. Once it was finished, I was surprised at how many people thought that each of the flowers was different!

When it was time to make the back, I used the leftover pieces. Piecing the back is a good way to use leftovers! I start stitching the smallest pieces together into chunks. Then I stitch the chunks together into sections until eventually the sections become just the right size for a back!

I used a cotton batting and a wool batting. It was a challenging project to quilt with two layers of batting. The definition that the wool created was worth the extra effort. Sometimes, I quilted pebbles in the background and sometimes, I echo quilted.

It is a happy quilt. When J and I hung this quilt, she wanted to hear the story of what made me make it and the story of how I made it. It is so cool that she is beginning to understand that every quilt has a story. She has spent a lot of time finding the blocks that match. She has spent some time tracing the quilting lines with her finger! Displaying the quilt this time has brought me extra enjoyment!

Finished quilt


6 comments:

BJ said...

What a happy pretty quilt! Happy Easter! I hope you had a wonderful weekend...Cheers, BJ

Luann Fischer said...

Terry,
I’m in awe! This is such an interesting take on using a machine embroidery design.
I have a Computerized program on my HQ Fusion that I might try this with.
Once again, you’re inspiring me to do something NEW, and I love that about our friendship.
Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I leave for my Spring vacation with the kids. I was asked today to bring some fabric, so we can stitch something. Doesn’t it make your heart sing when this happens?
I’ll catch up with you in a few weeks.
Hope you’re having spring like weather,,,
Luann

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, BJ. It was a fun project to make. . .I so enjoy playing with new techniques even though I may be worried about failing. . .miserably. . .I really haven't had an epic fail yet that derailed the project into the wastebasket!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, Try it. . .I like trying new to me techniques or applying an idea that came to me in a project. There is something about adding an extra challenge that speaks fun although often I create more work and angst for myself! Spring break with the kids and fabric is involved. . .you truly are living the good life!

She Quilts It said...

You're getting so accomplished on your embroidery. And as always, your quilting is fantastic! Love the quilt.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Joanne. It was fun to actually use most of the designs on the CD. This project was one of my earlier attempts to quilt with ruler templates. There is a learning curve with embroidery and ruler templates. . .I've a long way to go!