Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Five for 2018

Last year, I set 10 goals for myself. You can read that post here. Below is a short recap.
Finished "Chickens"--a 10+ year project.
The goal next year is to finish five UFOs.
1 was to finish more. I wanted to finish 17 projects in the spirit of 2017. I completed 21. Granted a number of the projects were gifts, clothing or "gran related"; but, I am happy to have so many items out of one of my many to do piles! I am also grateful to the FAL (Finish-A-Long) group because having quarterly goals helped me stay on course. I was excited to finish my chicken project.

2 was to expand my "box". I did start and finish one of JoJo's projects over at Through My Hands. I plan to keep going as I can because she uses a plethora of techniques which are fun. I also took a painting on fabric class that was way cool and I look forward to doing it again.

3 was to start new projects. No problem there!

4 was to participate in my guild's challenge and block contest; enter at least two quilts in the guild quilt show. I did it!

More machine embroidery projects are
planned for 2018
5 was to expand my machine embroidery skills. I found that stitching at least one project a month helpful and plan to stay on that track this year. I still have a lot to learn!

6 was to stitch and create with the grands. We did and there are more projects in store for us in 2018.

7 was to sew 50 yards from my stash and purchase less than that so I have a net loss of fabric for the year. I did although it was close to a push so I didn't make as big a dent as I had thought that I would!

8 was to make progress on current projects. This was a mixed bag. I have learned that when I'm stuck, it is good to have a chat with a friend and pose some what if questions. When I did this, both of us came away with a different view of our projects!

9 was to stay the course with the physical therapy exercises. I'm still doing the exercises; but, I haven't regained the ability to walk the dog further than across the street. . .yet!
Utilizing techniques to keep them in my
tool box are planned for 2018

10 was to follow the fun. It helped to focus on the positives. I am thankful to get to stitch with people who are joyful. Most of all, I'm grateful for all the laughter that went along with following the fun.

I'm keeping my word organize for 2018 as I didn't do much more than start the process in my space.  Also my list for 2018 is shorter:
1. Stitch 50 yards from my stash and to purchase less than that so I have a net loss of fabric stored in my space! (Is it possible to not buy more fabric???)
2. Complete five UFOs that have been in the pile for more than a year. (I've way more than five so this should be doable!)
3. Keep expanding my toolbox. (I've registered for several quilting classes and am considering taking a painting/drawing class.)
4. Stitch and create with the grands as often as possible! (We've at least one project on the books already!)
5. Follow the fun. (I plan to allow myself to get sidetracked when something is enjoyable. I figure following the fun can only be a winner!)

I'm participating in the 2018 Finish-A-Long. I've found participating to be helpful to help me with finishes as well as inspirational to see what others are stitching! You too can participate as you have until January 15 to post your link regarding your intentions. If you are interested, click the 2018 Finish-A-Long blog button that is on the lower right side of this blog. You can review the rules from that link as well.

2018 is going to be a banner year!


6 comments:

Janice Smith said...

Hi Terry,
I love your goals for 2018, especially “Follow the Fun,” my philosophy exactly. :-)

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're set to stay busy in 2018. I look forward to following your progress!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Janice, I think following the fun is the best of the five goals! I look forward to following your journey in the upcoming months!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, Yep, I'm planning to stay busy . .here's to progress!!! :)

Monica said...

2018 will be another banner year. I think you did pretty amazing in 2017! Looks like plenty of fun already. :D

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Monica, if the fun isn't driving us. . .it should be! tee tee! I plan to be giggling all the way in 2018!