Sunday, January 28, 2018

ID Badge #1--Third Finish of 1st Quarter FAL(Finish-A-Long) 2018

I purchased the ID badge pattern from Craftsy. I had folded my name badge to ensure that it would fit in the vinyl section of the ID badge. I planned to make three of these. . .two are gifts for a couple friends that have January birthdays. I used scraps; but, I did have to purchase the vinyl.
Finished ID Badge
The friend that received this one likes yellow. She also likes polka dot fabric. It is great that there were some polka dots in my stash! I used the dots as the lining and trim for the back pocket. I figure that even though I have three fabrics in an ID badge, the total amount used is about a fat quarter.

I didn't find it difficult to stitch on the vinyl. Although, I found it easier to stitch with the vinyl side up rather than down/next to the feed dogs. I do have a roller foot that I may try on another project. As with any project, the first one generally takes me the longest to make as I work through the steps.

I had to laugh at myself. The last step is to turn the project right side out. I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong because the pocket was inside the bag instead of on the back. . .Well, I just needed to turn the vinyl pocket to the front instead of to the back! Ha Ha on me!!!! :)
6 inch star block for the outgoing guild president

This is my third finish of the quarter and goal #1 on my1st Quarter FAL 2018 list. I used 1/4 yard of fabric. My total of fabric used so far this year is 4 1/4 yards of my 50 yard goal.

Yesterday, I took my first exercise walk since I came down with the nasty crud. I made it a quarter of a mile before coughing over took me. I waited for the coughing to pass. I walked home. As I approached the door, I had another coughing attack. I declared that was enough and that I would try an exercise walk today. Surely, I can bypass coughing today!

This week, I also made a six inch star block for the outgoing Mt. Hood guild president. The other rules were that the fabric colors were red, white and blue. Two colors could be used. The fabrics should be on the brighter side. Any star pattern was acceptable and your name had to appear somewhere on the block. I'll turn in the block at the February 13 guild meeting.


4 comments:

Nancy said...

I use a badge holder that I made several years ago from a ByAnnie pattern. It's so much fun to have a personalized badge holder and it's a convenient place to store my credit card and some cash. I made a couple for some friends that went to Houston with me that year. Yours is really nice and I'm sure your friend will love it!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, I remember your badge holder. It was cool. My friend did love this one. I agree with you about having a place to put a little cash and a credit card. It was nice to work on a non quilt project!

Sew of Course said...

What a great little bag, and wonderful as a gift! On behalf of the hosts, thank you for participating in the Finish-A-Long!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Sandra. I've enjoyed seeing this little name badge each month on my friend as we attend a guild meeting. Thanks for your comment and for visiting! I look forward to seeing your feathered star finished! Feathered stars are one of my favorite blocks!