Thursday, January 11, 2018

Quilting Rue--post 2 of 4

Rue as an almost finished top
The embroidered hexagons that I added to the background only took me about 20 hours to complete. I like the whimsy the stitches add to the piece. It took strength to pull the thread through the fabric and my fingers became sore. I'm glad that I didn't try this technique with three layers!

In the end, it was worth the effort! Plus, I'm thinking that I will add pebbles between the hexagons so at least I have another quilting plan beyond stitching around all the appliqués!

I decided to use a wool batting. I was curious as to how much loft an extra layer of wool batting would add underneath the appliqué shapes. I decided that it wouldn't give me the loft that I wanted so I used some polyester batting that I was gifted a number of years ago. This batting is thick and it was used to tie quilts.  I used a water soluable thread to stitch the batting and then I trimmed next to the stitching.
Smallest hexagon quilting design
Largest hexagon--love the unquilted center

Then it was on to layering and basting. I thought the back I had prepared was large enough. It wasn't so I sorted through the bits and found a fat quarter that I liked the color with the existing fabrics.

Middle sized hexagon quilting design
I started stitching in the ditch and around all the shapes. After I had stitched around the large hexagons and the ribbon in the lower part of the design, I checked my work. I had tucks on the back!! So I spent hours unstitching. I unpinned the layers and pin basted again. This time, I used more pins. More pins equaled no tucks which was GREAT!

Medium large hexagon quilting design
I stitched around all the hexagons with a silk thread on the top and a cotton thread on the bottom. I did this to anchor the hexagon. I had fun quilting the trapunto hexagons. I used two Westalee Rulers--the straight edge and a curved arc for the designs. There is a design or an area on each hexagon that I like the best. Some of the designs went together quickly, some way not so much!!!

I wish you could see the depth the trapunto added. Of course, I quilted each a little differently although at a glance, one might think some are quilted the same!

Medium sized hexagon quilting design
I'm thinking about stitching pebbles in the open spaces and then filling the hexagons with  a variety of fill stitches. I had planned to stitch the pebbles in the same color as the background; but, it is difficult to see where you have been and where you are going. I may see what I have on hand and stitch with a different shade of brown.

Maybe, I will leave some of the hand stitched hexagons open. The small ones look great as is. Time will tell. I'm still listening to what this quilt has to say!

Time spent on the project thus far is about 44 hours.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I love what the hand stitching adds to this quilt! I can imagine how the hexagons look with the trapunto. I love trapunto! You'll be the pebbles expert once you get done with this quilt, in addition to what you did on your chicken quilt!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, adding the hand stitching was a good choice. I'm glad that you agree too! I think I'm pebble crazy instead of a pebble expert; but, I think I can about make them in my sleep!!! I'd better get back at them so I can finish!! :) I love trapunto too! It is fun to play around with that technique.

Anonymous said...

The artist in you really shows in this piece. You are not just a quilter anymore. Gail G

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Gail, you are much too kind with your comment . . .but, I'll take it and love it!!!