Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Quilt Entries


Zip tie loop option for hanging
Goal number two on my February list was to enter my quilts in the Clark County Quilters show/Quiltfest Northwest which will be held April 4-6, 2024. This year, the guild provided an online method to enter our quilts. While it has some issues for the entrant, I believe the online entry process will help organizers categorize the quilts and organize them much faster. 

Close up of Fly Home
I entered four quilts. My entries are: 42 Minis--display only as the past presidents of the guild are showing the quilts that they made with the blocks the members gave them at the end of their term. Nuggets--an entry representing our Thread Tales group and the book "Where the Forest Meets the Stars." Lone Star Modern Contemporary--entered in the pieced category. Lime Sprinkle--an entry representing the Lime Twist Challenge through the small group Mod Squad. I need to finish Lime Sprinkle. . .it isn't even a top. . .yet!!!!

In January, the Portland Modern Guild put out a call for entries to display quilts at the Vancouver Public Library. This is my second year as a member. I haven't made a project from a workshop or a challenge. . .but, using books as inspiration, I have created a few modern looking quilts. I thought what better place to display book inspired quilts than a library! 

Close up of Circling the Sun
I entered four quilts. Crossroads (The Time Traveler's Wife), Rue (The Hunger Games), Fly Home (The All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion) and Circling the Sun (West with the Night.) A few days after I entered, I received notification that all FOUR of the quilts were accepted! I was excited!! I hope that I can see the quilts hanging at the library. I am humbled and honored to have been selected.

Close up of Crossroads
To hang the quilts, we are to provide a wooden slat or dowel with a hole drilled at each end that fits the sleeve of our quilt. We were to insert a zip tie into the hole and create a loop. The loop will fit the hook in the
library's hanging system. We could have also used a wooden slat or dowel that a contains screw with an eye. I went with the zip tie option.

I'm happy to share my work. Fifteen years ago, I wanted to stitch an award winning quilt. I thought I had stitched a winner. I showed it in a couple of smaller shows. I entered it in big shows; but, it was not selected to hang. The judge's comments were similar. There was one section of the quilt that drew criticism.

Close up of Rue
It was then that I had a decision to make. Stitch quilts that the judges will like or stitch quilts the way I like. I stopped entering national shows. I share quilts at the county fair and at the guild shows.

I  appreciate other artists and quilters when they share their work. Seeing my work hung creates a feeling of amazement within my soul. I've spent hours working closing on the project. When I view it hanging, I grin because the overall impact is what I haven't seen working so closely on it!

Putting my work in the public eye, also places me in a vulnerable position, Some attendees can be overheard saying the most unwelcome comments. I am choosing to be brave! The best quilt shows/displays are the ones that share quilts with a variety of techniques and made with various levels of difficulty. Goal number 14 on my February list was to write a post sharing the acceptance news.

In the header on my blog, I have tabs for completed quilts and books read. I have a tab labeled Thread Tales Quilts. This is where I've listed the books our group has read over the years. Corresponding to the book, I've noted a response. Often, there is a completed quilt listed with a link to read the story about the project.

2 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You ARE definitely choosing to be brave, Terry! I'm always impressed with quilters who enter their quilts in shows. I admit it, I'm not that brave! Having your quilts that were inspired by books hung in the library sounds really neat - I bet that will be a fun exhibit to see.

LindaH said...

For Little Penguin - there would be no quilt show if no one entered a quilt. Or four. Share your quilts with the world. Go for it! Your quilt will inspire someone, some way. A good show has quilts at all levels of skill and size.