Sunday, February 18, 2024

Lime Sprinkle Is A Top!--Post 2

Auditioning the upper left corner

Goal number 10 on my February list was to get the project I started in an Irene Rodrick workshop to a top. I have had so much fun piecing this top. I was stuck with what to do in the last corner. I originally planned to use solid black. . .then decided that approach would be too much black. I thought about Improv piecing log cabins--I wasn't feeling that shape. I wasn't making progress.

Pieced left corner
This week, I decided I'd determine what fabric color was going to be in that corner. I'd already determined it wasn't black. I auditioned a piece of gray, no. . .I had gray on the right side of the project already. That left red. I hadn't considered red because I have so much of that color in the quilt already.

When I stepped back after placing a chunk in that space, that color felt "right." Then it was what to insert in the red. I decided that I would piece in some wider strips using black. I'd end up with triangle shapes.

I did no measuring. I didn't use a ruler. I free hand sliced the red fabric and began piecing the black strips. I did use a ruler to trim the edges. Once I had sewn the section, I decided that the piece was stronger without the checkerboard strip.

From my previous post, I had the top right section together as well as the right lower section. I also had a partially sewn seam that linked the left to the right. 

I decided the project which I'm calling Lime Sprinkle, was ready to become a top. (I'm planning to share it with my modern small group as an answer to their lime twist challenge. The rules were 24 inches wide by 48-60 inches long. Lime fabric has to be visible on the front of the quilt. Kintsugi--the art of using gold to repair broken pottery should be present. Piecing should be Improv either curved or straight.)

I pieced chunks together, In the photo below, I shared my stitching path. In a short time, I had the top together. .  .well. . .sort of. . .There were a couple spots that waved! I altered those areas. I added a little more Improv piecing. 

Order in which I stitched the sections
Then I trimmed the top to resemble a rectangle. I liked it and proclaimed the top was finished. Then that checkerboard talked to me. Well, Gertie, my inner squirrel, was the one who was listening to the checkerboard chatter. The following morning, I auditioned the checkerboard at the bottom right of the top. It looked like it wanted to live there. I believe I have captured the theme of maximalism (more is more) in this project!

All the sections stitched together

I added a strip of black to the checkerboard to get the section to fit the bottom of the top. I stitched it. Now. . .it is a finished top, Bonus. . .I've even selected the back fabric and determined that the project will be faced. Now on to the layering and basting!

Finished top
I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. There is always lots of inspiration of what others are doing with scraps and bits!



8 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is so neat, Terry! Love reading about your process and then seeing the progress. And I found the lime sprinkles, lol! At first I was wondering why it had that name - and then I looked closer!

Janice Smith said...

Very cool! Janice@apositiveoutlook

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, what a work of modern art!!! Do I see three strips of gold for the kintsugi on the final photo? What did you use for that?

Anonymous said...

Really like the colours and the pieces stitched together. Looks like a painting!! Xx

Rebecca Grace said...

What an interesting improv piece you and Gertie have created! ;-). What fun!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is SUPER cool!!! What a fun design process!

Nancy said...

I LOVE how this turned out! Incredible!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This looks amazing, Terry ! It looks like it was a fun project to work on too. Have a great week. Hugs.