Sunday, June 6, 2021

May Recap and June Goal Setting

61 full blocks of Frolic
In May, I listed nine projects to either finish or move forward toward completion. I fully finished the president's block, the wool pincushion and my granddaughter's dress. I did finish five pairs of leggings. Four for myself and one for my granddaughter. My granddaughter's pair was too large so in June, I'll revamp them so that they fit. I'll also make a pair for her sister. I also finished all of the pocket wallets

I did piece and sash all the blocks for Frolic. I even stitched the center together. It measurers 109 inches by 109 inches. Now, I'm trying to decide if I want to piece a border, or add a strip and then a piece a border or do I want to call it finished. I don't know what the next step will be; however I'm happy with my progress. 

I did begin my book club quilt for the book "How the Penguins Saved Veronica." I am about two thirds of the way through the software lesson. I did complete the blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and I am caught up with the Temperature Quilt project. I met eight of the nine goals that I listed and made progress on the ninth foal.

Five months of blocks for the Temperature Quilt
I was a winner of a gift certificate from "The Fat Quarter Shop." Thank you to Patty at Elm Street Quilts and her One Monthly Goal (OMG). She drew my pincushion project!

I also helped 47 staff earn their American Heart Basic Life Support certificate. I helped four lifeguard instructor candidates earn their lifeguard instructor certificates. All in all, it was a great month.

Thank you Linda H for your kind comment about my progress. It came at just the right time. I was struggling with getting back to the "water" side of my life and having less time to quilt!

For June, I have a plan. It was easier to write the pan this month than it was last month. My inner squirrel, however, wants
Book Club quilt
to start new projects. I've tried to stall her; but, she is relentless in tempting me with more projects every day. We have had serious chat sessions; however, she's talked me into beginning new projects this month. 

My June list:

Tree skirt 
1. Continue with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. This month the color is purple! I also plan to continue piecing Temperature Quilt blocks. So far, I've kept up with completing the blocks each month.

2. Finish my book club quilt. It is a hand applique project. In May, I worked on the project during waiting times and in the evenings. I made fair progress on this project. Actually, I need to appliqué the eyes and I'm ready to figure out the back for the project! 
A possible border for Frolic

It takes time to hand applique. While I enjoy the process, I probably should have started this project in April! This is going to be my OMG this month. Check Out Elm Street Quilts. Patty writes an entertaining blog in addition to being home to the OMG. If you want to participate or be inspired visit the OMG at her link: Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal June Link-up

3. Make the top of the tree skirt that I cut out at the end of February. 

4. Determine if I'm going to add a border to Frolic. If I'm adding a border, determine what kind of border. This project continues to be such a process! Some projects are like that. This project has had a mind of its own since the beginning of the mystery in 2019! I am so looking forward to having a completed top!!!

5. Work with Miss K so she can finish her mermaid quilt. She is so close!

Jingle Bell Square possible fabrics
6. Make progress on my CCQ challenge quilt. I haven't started! August is when I need to enter the paperwork for the project and it would be nice to at least have the top finished!

7. Finish the 3rd software lesson that I started last month and begin another.

The next projects on my list are from my inner squirrel. 8. Start making "Jingle Bell Square" blocks. My Mystery Mavens small group is planning to do a block exchange and I want to participate. Jingle Bell Square is a Bonnie Hunter pattern. The block fabric rule is to choose complimentary colors from our stash fabrics. My inner squirrel is looking forward to working with the color wheel. I need to make 24 blocks to exchange and possibly some smaller hour glass blocks by the end of September.

Sash these blocks with Miss J
9. Start a selvage block project. I've lots of selvages. My squirrel first whispered in my ear about a project months ago. It's been awhile since I let the squirrel out to play. I hope that allowing her this playtime doesn't mean that she takes me down a rabbit hole. Taking me down a rabbit hole often happens when she comes for a play date!

10. Work with Miss J on sashing the blocks that I won at the spring retreat last February. She has the blocks labeled
to be sure that we stitch them as per her layout. I've preshrunk the sashing fabric. I need to cut it and help her sew it to the blocks.

11. Play with the needle felting attachment on my machine.

Last, I may make progress on other projects listed on my 2nd Quarter goal list. Time will tell. 

Regarding COVID: 

Worldwide: 173M cases; 3.71M deaths

United States: 33.4M cases; 596K deaths

Play with this needle felting attachment

Oregon: 203K cases; 2,717 deaths

This past week, the Oregon governor announced restrictions will be lifted once we reach 70% vaccinated adults age 18 and older who have received at least one dose of a COVID vaccine. The million dollar lottery incentive hasn't spurred on people to become vaccinated. At last count, 66.2% of the population is vaccinated. About 127,000 more people need to be vaccinated to get to 70%. On June 1, 4,885 people were vaccinated. In mid May 20,000 people a day were vaccinated. Later in the month it dropped to 12,000 people a day. I'm so ready to be maskless!!!

No comments: