Sunday, June 20, 2021

Month Six Purple--Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Purple strings 
Angela at So Scrappy is the one behind the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC). This month, she chose purple as the color to stitch blocks. My friend, Martha, loved purple. She sewed many quilts with purple fabrics. She had a variety of purple strings in her scraps.

I started stitching the string blocks late Friday. I almost forgot to take a photo of the scraps at the beginning of the process! By the evening, I had completed four blocks. I had a good start on the second set of four blocks. Yesterday, I finished stitching the blocks. 

After six months of playing along with the RSC, the string bag from which I'm using, is no longer overflowing. As I've made blocks, I've separated the leftovers by color in quart zip lock bags because I'm thinking it might be easier to play along in a future RSC. I do have a plan for another string quilt which I plan to begin soon. 

Blocks before trimming
I continue to be awed at how quickly the blocks go together. Yes, there is some prep time. I cut enough black and neutral strips and then I sort the appropriate colored strips. Finally, I prepare the newsprint squares. Then, I'm ready to piece the strings!

I am amazed at how well the various shades of purple look when they are assembled in blocks. Red purple, blue purple, lilac, dusty purple and pink purple strips made their way into the blocks. If the strip was the right length, I used it without paying attention to the contrast or trying to make a coordinated block!

I did manage to cut one newsprint square incorrectly, so I "got to" make an additional block. I'll use the incorrect square as the label or as part of the back. It won't go to waste!

The few leftover strips
I'm linking to Angela at The Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I'm also linking to Cynthia at Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework.

Regarding COVID:

Worldwide: 1.78M cases; 3.86M deaths

United States: 33.5M cases; 601K deaths

Oregon: 207K cases; 2,783 deaths

Because of the uptick in COVID cases with the latest variant of the virus in the UK, Biden has kept flights from the UK to the U.S. grounded. The Canadian border remains closed.

Sixty-five percent of the population has received at least one dose of the vaccine in the United States. Meanwhile, the number of people infected with the virus has increased. Most of the cases are of people who have chosen to not be vaccinated. 

Finished purple string blocks
In Oregon, 57% of the population has received at least one dose of the vaccine. Last night, the Portland soccer teams could have 80% of the fans in the stands. People were excited to be able to attend the games in person. Many of the fans attended their last game March 1, 2020!

11 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's one of the great things about string blocks - anything goes! Yours are so pretty in purple. I really like that design with the black center and lighter strings on the other side, too!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Diann, I haven't worked much with strings; but, between Cynthia's blog and Angela's challenge, I'm getting hooked. It is crazy how I think that all those strips of all those colors variations of the color Angela picked are not going to work and then they do. . .It's been a good simple starting pattern with instant gratification! Thanks for stopping by Diann!

Vicki in MN said...

Purple is a favorite color of mine. I love how you are doing neutrals on one side and the purples on the other.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Vickie! I incorporated the neutrals because when this challenge began with the color pink, I had very little so using the neutral half allowed me to stretch what I had! I'm beginning to think about layouts and getting interested in seeing the blocks together!

Ivani said...

Beaautiful string blocks, Terry.
Yesterday Brazil beat 500.000 deads for Covid-19. This is so sad.
Take care and stay safe.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Careful. String blocks can get addictive :)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Beautiful blocks. Purple is my favorite color. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Ivani, It is sad that so many deaths from COVID continue throughout the world. You take care too. Staying safe keeps us wise.
I'm glad you liked my blocks!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Cynthia, My friend, Martha, would have agreed with you about purple being the favorite color. Yes, I think strings blocks are going to cause me to need a recovery program. . .Thanks for stopping by!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Pretty PURPLE String blocks, Terry!! Are you having fun with the RSC?

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Yes, Joy, I'm having fun with the RSC. I had no idea what fun participating would be! I even have a plan for next year. . . Thank you for stopping by and for your comment!