Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Two Weeks To Go--Leaves post 4

Beginning the leaf filler stitches
I did finish ditch quilting the leaves yesterday. It took me about 12 hours to complete the ditch quilting. This time, the back is tuck free!

Detail of the leaf quilting
Today, I started quilting the 24 printed blocks. My plan is quilt around the print and to fill the background with smaller leaves.

I have no idea how long this part of the process will take. It took me about two hours to quilt one background on a large block. I do like the leaf filler quilting as it fits well with the printed leaf motif on the fabric.

I do plan to add some dimension to the flowers and the leaves. I'm thinking pebbles would be right for the center of the sections of the flowers. I quilted one block of the leaves outlining the greenish stripe in the leaves.

First background quilted 
In a couple weeks, my husband and I will be taking a trip to visit our youngest daughter in London, England. This project is supposed to be her birthday present. I've two weeks. After quilting today, I doubt that I can finish this quilt in that time frame; but, I do plan to quilt as many hours as I physically can to see how far I get.

Had I not lost those days to repinning the quilt, I would be closer to the finish. I'm happy that I stopped, reassessed and rebooted the project. At the very least, I will get it finished before her birthday in 2020. My husband has been doing the meal preparation and planning to allow me more hours in the studio. Thanks, Bob! The best quilting journeys include lots of support. Who supports you in your journey?

2 comments:

Nicole Knott said...

looking forward to wrapping myself up in this quilt. Very cold in London - currently just 1 degrees Celsius!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nicole, I too am looking forward to finishing this beast. . .although, it is going to be sometime yet. . I am back to quilting the background as of yesterday and plan to quilt some on it as many days as possible!