Sunday, December 8, 2019

Leaves--a reboot post 3

All hands on deck to help with pin basting
I started quilting in the ditch. The quilting was going okay. Although pushing and pulling the mass of fabric through the harp of the machine irritated my ongoing neck and back issues. I had completed about three quarters of the ditch quilting. I took a good look at the back. . .I hadn't realized how I neglected to keep the back smooth during the pin basting process. I now had tucks in the quilt back.

Finished pin basting
I spent Thanksgiving weekend and the week after ripping out all the stitches. I then separated the layers; I re pin basted. My dear husband, Bob, as he does every day, asked what he could do to help me. I replied, please help me pin baste. The look on his face said he would rather clean toilets than work on the quilt; but, his lips said "Really?" Followed by, "Are you serious?" I assured him that I was serious.

He was a trooper and closed pins for me. In a few hours, we had finished basting that monster for the second time. This time, I laid the quilt on the floor and checked the back to see that I hadn't pinned in any tucks in the back!!! I hadn't.

Although I again started the quilting in the ditch, I used a monofilament thread and a walking foot. The reason for the change was the walking foot would feed the fabric and my body wouldn't get as sore pushing and pulling the fabric. Using the monofilament thread meant I wouldn't have to change thread until I was ready to begin the free motion quilting.

Below is the photo of what 108 inches of quilt looks like going through the harp of the machine. It sure isn't pretty! Moving that mass, however, is doable with lots of breaks!

I doubt that I will finish this project in time for my daughter's birthday which is in 12 days. I have no doubt that I will finish this project before her birthday next year. Perhaps, she will make a visit to Oregon and take it back with her!
The mass ready to be moved through the machine at the start of the day

The time I spent ripping gave me plenty of time to consider quilting designs in the blocks and sashing areas. Once I get start quilting the sashing areas, I will progress quickly. If I had a longarm, I imagine I would have had it quilted by now!


Luann Fischer said...

If a quilt shop in your area rents time on their longarm machine, utilize it. But be prepared, once you start getting the quilting done with so much less aggravation to the body, you’ll do all but the smallest of projects that way.
You could also, put a bunch in a suitcase, come visit me for a week, and go home with them all done. And if you keep the clothing you bring to a minimum,,,, we can always do a load of laundry every evening while we sit in pjs and hand stitch, lol
It’ll be so worth it all when you can stand back and look at the finished quilt.
Luann said...

Luann, I like working on a longarm! My friend has offered me time on her machine. I know the more I quilt on one, the more I will pine for one. . .I would LOVE to come for a visit and do exactly that!!!!! Hanging out in our pjs and stitching would be so much fun!!!!