Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Merry Christmas

Cross stitch on linen 
Merry Christmas! I hope you are enjoying family and friends today. This year, the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas evaporated!

My friend, JoJo, will be moving to Alabama by the end of next month. I am so going to miss being able to run by her house to pick her brain for ideas to challenges. I will miss the awesome lunches she prepared, the laughter we shared and all the Bowdee adoration! (Bowdee is her dog who took a special shine to me!)

JoJo stitched the ornament which I will cherish as a keepsake. I can't imagine cross stitching on linen. She included red which is my favorite color and yellow which is her favorite color. She stitched the words in French because I love France. She included a special button from her collection. She included sewing motifs because we both enjoy quilting and stitching.

Earlier this month, I pulled out my "Christmas" clothing. I used to add an item each year; but, in the last ten years, I've reduced my inventory to three favorites. I have a couple sweaters and a sweatshirt that I look forward to wearing during the season. Because they are "seasonal," these items have been around for a long time.

Thirty one years ago when the kids were in elementary school, we took a trip to Disneyland.  My dad's mom lived in Morro Bay, California. We spent a couple nights visiting with her. She enjoyed shopping and sharing what made the area paradise to her. She loved the variety and uniqueness of the shops in and around Morro Bay.

One evening, we went to dinner and in a store window near the restaurant, I saw a sweater that I loved. The store was closed so having a closer look wasn't an option. Her agenda didn't have a trip back to this location. The following day, she altered her agenda. She drove us back to the store, where I bought the sweater. It wasn't on sale. Rarely, do I purchase clothing that isn't on sale. (I figure any savings means more fabric and thread buying ability!) I remember that the sweater cost $30.

The sweater is a deep pink with pearls embellishing a white leafy design at the neckline. I was attracted to the neckline because it reminded me of  the edges of a snowflake. I was also attracted to the pearl embellishment! Over time, I lost some pearls. Now that I have done a little beadwork, I understand the importance of knotting the thread so that if it were to break, one wouldn't lose a bunch of beads.

In my husband's grandmother's bead stash were some pearls that were about the right size and color for the sweater. I added them and restitched each pearl to the neckline. These will be in place for years to come!

The free standing lace embroidered snowflake was the ornament that I won at Pat's Christmas party earlier in the month. My friend, Martha, loved snowflakes so getting it at the party was extra special.

Now, I'm off to make some more memories with family. Life is good!

4 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

Merry Christmas and all the joys of the New Year

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, I'm looking forward to lots of joy in the coming year!

JoJo said...

Merry Christmas my long wished for adopted sister. I will be busy setting up your room for when you come to visit. I’m so blessed to have you as a friend.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

JoJo, I look forward to a visit. It is good to have goals! :) Yes. . .adopted sisters. . . that is a good description of us!