Sunday, September 8, 2019

Quilting New Beginnings--post 3

Oops--missing seam allowance
Backing fabric
This quilt top has been waiting to be layered and basted for months. My last post was in December!
Pin basted ready for quilting

I was stumped about what to do for a back. Often, I piece the back using leftover bits from the front. This time, piecing a back wasn't what the quilt wanted. In Martha's stash from that last day at her house, I had picked up a piece of fabric that was a print of pastel plaids. I don't think it is 100 percent cotton; but, it worked for this project. There was enough for the back and the sleeve.

Before I layered the top, I added another border as I didn't want the binding to infringe on the pattern. Turns out I forgot to leave a seam allowance in that area. I've been quilting long enough to know better. Obviously, I missed that step in the pattern. I'm not concerned though. It is still a great project. I look forward to finishing it!

After I had pin pasted the layers, I made the sleeve and I prepared the binding. The binding will be the same as the outer border fabric. I'll be thinking of what I want to include on the label. It will take awhile to quilt this piece so I've plenty of time to think about what I will write!
Thread selection used for the anchor quilting
In the meantime, I began the quilting as I generally do by stitching in the ditch and around all the applique pieces. The pieced border was all the ditch quilting so I finished ditch quilting quickly!

I auditioned and selected some silk threads to start. For this anchoring part of the quilting, I tend to choose threads that will blend. As I quilt, I will add even more! I like silk threads because the fine thread almost disappears as I stitch around the appliqué pieces. I used a 100 weight polyester in the bobbin.

It took me about four hours to complete the anchor quilting. I didn't love quilting with the stabilizer in place. The needle made a popping sound as it entered and exited the fabric. The loft of the quilting is a bit flatter than when I've quilted without stabilizer. I set it aside as I pondered how I was going to quilt the center of the piece.



No comments: