Wednesday, September 25, 2019

K's Skirt--Twelfth Finish 3rd Quarter FAL 2019

Finished skirt
This was supposed to be a project that Miss K and I stitched together.  When we had sew dates together she chose to work on her mermaid quilt instead. She makes good decisions!

Miss K cutting a slit for ease of movement
I decided that if I continued to wait for a good time for the two of us to stitch this skirt, she may have grown out of the pattern!!! I reviewed the directions for cutting out the skirt many times. I pinned cutting lines many times before I actually did any cutting!!! For this project, there was no paper pattern. Had Miss K been part of this project, this reviewing and pinning lines would have been way too boring!!

One would think that stitching two seams for the skirt, the waistband seam and attaching the waistband would take a few hours at most. . . .I
must be direction challenged because it took me most of a day to get the skirt finished. If I were making this pattern again, I would enlarge the waist because it was a bit too small; but, since the fabric was a knit, it worked. Miss K liked it!

The beauty of this being an extra wide piece of fabric was that I was able to cut a second skirt for Miss J! We made the skirt almost floor length and Miss K thought Miss J would like the skirt more if there was an opening for running. I like the way Miss K thinks and Miss J who was feeling neglected because she didn't have a skirt too was much happier with the project!

Two finished skirts
My dear husband, Bob, provided a third hand for me so that I could stretch the elastic to its maximum as I zig zagged the elastic to the skirt top. Without his help, it would have taken me much longer to finish the skirt. The elastic is a decorative--it has a metallic silver finish which Miss K appreciated since she loves sparkle! I snapped a photo of the two skirts when finished.

The girls were over one evening for dinner so their dad could attend curriculum night at school. Their mama had her own curriculum night to attend. Their papa snapped a photo of them in their skirts. I noted that Miss K decided the longer skirt was to her liking while Miss J was happiest with the shorter skirt. I told them that since the skirts were the same size, they might wear each other's skirts sometimes. . .that is IF all parties agreed to that sort of exchange!
Skirts in motion

I used three quarters of a yard of fabric for this project. My friend, Pat, gifted me the fabric and the pattern more than a year ago! Thanks Pat!

I'm glad to see have this project out of the project box and into a wearable item! This brings the total fabric I've sewn to 72 1/4 yards. This was goal number 11 on my 3rd quarter FAL list. It is my twelfth finish for the quarter!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Such fun skirts! I love to read stories of how kids know what is best for them - such good awareness. May there be many fun years of play ahead! And, congrats on your FAL finish!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Lynne. . .for such a simple project. . .it sure sat in my "to do" pile for a long time! Thanks for stopping by!