Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Machine Embroidered T-Shirt #1--Ninth Finish 3rd Quarter FAL 2019

Pink pre-washed t-shirt
Before I embroidered a design on the t-shirt, I first washed it to preshrink it. I had two shirts so rather than measure the shirt before and after, I washed one and compared it to the unwashed shirt. These are a Jerzees brand of shirt and I sure thought that there would be a lot of shrinkage. Was I ever WRONG!

I was so surprised when I layered the washed shirt on top of the unwashed shirt and found almost no difference. . . .well, perhaps, there was a half inch difference overall.

My husband donated one of his t-shirts to me so that I could practice machine embroidery on a t-shirt before I actually stitched the design. For several reasons, I found it is good to make a practice run.

Embroidery samples
First, if there are some areas in the design that need a little adjustment, the sample is a great place to spot them. Second, it is a good time to check to see if the threads chosen work well together. Once the design is stitched, there might be better thread choice so the design is more more pleasing to the eye! Third, it is a way to see if the stabilizer chosen works well with the design.

I've stitched designs multiple times tweaking as I go before I stitch the ONE! This is the first time that I've embroidered on a clothing item and the first time that I embroidered a design on a knit fabric. Hooping the design was a challenge. I'm glad that I had the old shirt to practice on first!

Threads lined up for stitching
The three designs, that I chose to be my first samples, came with the software. It is fun to use motifs that I already have! I experimented with the larger butterfly. I used a variegated thread to stitch it. Although I liked the added interest the thread created, I decided it wasn't the right feel for the granddaughter. I decided the smaller butterfly was too "frilly"; but, decided the kitty was just right!

Hooping to get the motif to stitch as I wanted made me sweat with nervousness. In the end, I got it close enough for my eye. I added a little embellishment to the sleeve. I wouldn't have thought about adding embellishment; however, my friend JoJo suggested it. I think Miss J will notice right away. I like the little bit of "extra
Finished embroidery 
special" the sleeve embellishment added to the garment. Hooping such a small area was challenging; but, in the end it was worth the extra effort. Thanks JoJo for your suggestion!

This was goal number 14 on my FAL list. No fabric was used in this project. It will be a gift for Miss J. It is my ninth finish for the quarter!



4 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

Terry, I agree that the kitty will be perfect for the granddaughter. Just a thought, when hooping, can you use a adhesive basting spray like people use when putting as quilt together before quilting it? I haven’t done it, but it might hold things when you are so close to an edge. It’s so much fun to get things to work out and doing a practice run is a very good idea.
Have a great day
Luann

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, I look forward to gifting the t-shirt. I have tried adhesive spray. . .it does leave a residue and clean up is needed. I liked it in the beginning. . .now, not so much! I do many practice runs. . . .sometimes, I think that is all that I do!!!!!

Izzy said...

That is super cute!! Congrats on the finish. On behalf of the 2019 FAL hosts, thank you so much for playing along with us this quarter!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Izzy, thanks for dropping by and for your kind comment! Once I had finished, I realized it wasn't as difficult a project as I had thought it would be! If it weren't for FAL, it would still be in the to do pile!