Wednesday, January 23, 2019

A Couple of Activities I'm Not Doing This Year

President's block
I've belonged to the Clark County Quilters guild since 1998. When I joined, I worked full time plus I had a couple of part time jobs so I rarely did more than attend the Spring retreat, the quilt show, Saturday Workshops and maybe a class or two.

Since about 2006, I've often participated in the block contest and the challenge contest. Last year, I won the block contest. I have spent a lot time sketching, trying new to me techniques and meeting the deadline for each of these contests. I enjoyed being part of the creative wave of the guild. Seeing what others created opened my eyes to new interpretations of the same set of rules/directions!

Last August, I was on board to participate in the challenge and the block contest as I had some designs for both noodling around in my head. I even had a thought for a quilt for the theme of the show. During the Christmas holiday, I had a serious talk with myself. I hadn't started any of the projects. This year, the show is at the end of March which is a week earlier than in the past.

The challenge included a size limitation and my idea was larger than the size. The project I had in mind for the quilt theme wasn't the "right" colors. I couldn't get excited about drafting a New York Beauty type block which is the block challenge.  I opted to take a pass this year. I will miss being a part of the fun; but, I can't do it all. It is okay that I can't do it all!
Cooking bacon. . .it's going to be a great day

I have projects that are calling me to finish and other projects that I want to begin. I've done little toward reorganizing my studio. I need time to actually complete the monthly embroidery software lessons. I decided, I would make more overall progress spending my studio time working on what I want instead of starting a couple of projects that have rules attached.

GASP. . . .I, who have been a rule follower and then a rule bender have gone ROGUE!

I did stitch an 8 1/2 inch block for the outgoing president in the Mt. Hood guild. In addition to the size, the only other requirement was that polka dot fabric be used. Sawtooth stars make fun quilt blocks so I looked through my bits and found some fabrics that had dots. I hope she likes the block. I enjoyed stitching it.

There will be cooking and stitching time with the grands too. Life is great!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're following your heart and working on what speaks to you. It's hard to not join in, but you definitely should enjoy every minute of your time spent on your hobby!

Janice Smith said...

Good for you! I'm into doing only what makes me happy. Besides, there will always be another block contest and challenge block next year. :-()

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, having fun is a huge part of the journey! I'm liking working on what I want!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Janice, True that there will be opportunities next year too! Life is too short to not enjoy what we are doing! :)

Luann Fischer said...

Isn’t it freeing once you embrace the meaning of the word, Enough. Even if it’s for longer than expected. And INVESTING our time on something that makes our heart sing is so much better than SPENDING our time on marginally joy producing activities. And those grands are growing too fast to miss any opportunities with them.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, Enough is a word I need to recognize more often! It is all a process. Investing in activities that make our heart sing is the way to go for sure! :)