Sunday, July 22, 2018

Tis the Season for Swimsuits Take 2--Fifth Finish for 3rd Quarter Finish-A-Long 2018

Four suits cut--ready for stitching
After finishing the first swimsuit, it was time to tackle the second. I stitched the second suit and lining. Next, I inserted the lining into the suit and basted the edges. I trimmed the lining away from the edges.

I was making great progress! I started to apply the elastic. I didn't have enough! I bought this elastic years ago. There was 100 yards on the spool.  I bought it on sale. I don't remember the price; but, I I'm thinking that I paid about $40 for it.

I wasn't able to buy that amount/product where I purchased it before. I tried a couple other outlets; but, ended up buying a 144 yard spool online for about the same price/yard as was listed on this spool!

Empty elastic spool
Stitching the elastic
Because my daughter was coming for a visit, I so wanted to have the suit finished and waiting on her bed when she arrived. If I waited for the elastic to arrive, I wasn't going to have the second suit finished. I decided to purchase a five yard package of elastic at Joann Crafts and Fabric. The elastic from Joann's wasn't as firm as what was on my spool; but, it worked.

It was a relief to be able to finish the suit before my daughter arrived. I was short about 1 3/4 yard of the elastic. I'm glad that I could purchase the product near me!
Finished back of suit

I wasn't able to cut two complete suits out of this print. I was short one back so I used a piece of black swim fabric that I have on hand for my "uniform" suits. I like the placement of the lines and I hope she won't be bothered with the black fabric. In years past, I would cut the back out of a different fabric all together. Sometimes, I could cut the suit out of different fabrics so it was more of a color blocked suit. I use different approaches to use the greatest amount of the fabric!
Finished front

I like the front of this suit. Although, I hope that the setting sun placement is in a good position!

This was goal number 24 on my Finish-A-Long list. I used two yards of fabric. (One yard for the suit and one yard for the lining.) I have now used 22 yards from my stash. I have 28 yards to go to achieve my goal of a net loss of 50 yards from my stash this year.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

It's very nice! I'm sure she'll love it!

Janice Smith said...

Wow! You are so clever to be able to make swimsuits; it’s lovely.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, she says she likes this suit best. I've seen the first suit on her; but, not this one yet. Perhaps, she is saving it for a special occasion. . .

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Janice, Swimsuits aren't difficult to sew. As long as you stretch the elastic as you stitch, and cut the fabric so the greater stretch goes around the body, fit/wearability is all good! Thanks! (I was glad to cut out so many pieces of that one fabric for suits!)

Ella said...

The suits are so cute! I hope your daughter loved them. On behalf of the FAL crew, thanks for joining in!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Ella! My daughter says that she likes the one with the half black back best. I'm glad that these are finished, off the list and the fabric is used!!! :)