Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Hawaii--day 5-6

Ready for our snorkel tour
On day five, we rose early and were out the door by 6am so that we could catch the 8am snorkel tour to Molakini to see fish and to the Turtle Arches to see turtles. Unfortunately, there was too much wind to snorkel at Molakini so we spent all our time at the spot to see turtles. Josette and Bob saw a huge turtle. Amanda and Nicole saw a turtle while they were on a reef tour. I saw a turtle surface while I was in the boat!

Visiting the aquarium
I probably saw about the same species of fish as well as about the same numbers as we saw when we snorkeled at Airport Beach. We were served breakfast and lunch on the boat. For a five hour tour, had Mother
Nature cooperated, we would have snorkeled in two locations. On our return trip, we saw three bottle nosed dolphins which was cool.

One grand succumbed to the ocean waves and was sea sick; but, fully recovered by the time to tour the Aquarium. It was a nice tour and the consensus regarding the aquarium visit was it was well organized, really kid friendly and interesting. Bob and I enjoyed a cool drink and we walked around the Marina.

Bob flying upside down
James bought poke (raw tuna), sashimi, rice rolls, macaroni salad and tahini shrimp for dinner. It was a good and different sort of dinner. Even though I used sunscreen and reapplied it, I still picked up a sunburn. Ouch!

On day six, Bob, Nicole and I left at 6am for a zip line tour. We had a Starbucks coffee and a little something to tide us over until lunch. Doing a zip line tour has been on my bucket list for some time. I thought it would be cool to be above the tree tops and see the view. I had no idea of all the tricks that can be done or that people would want to do them!
Nicole during the spinner jump

The zip line is located at Camp Maui where the famous fighting fourth division of Marines were stationed during WWII. So not only did we have a fun experience, we also picked up some of the history about the site. The NorthShore ZipLine company rocked.

Me during the leap of faith jump
Bob, my husband, is absolutely fearless. He immediately went upside down, backwards, and spun during his first zip line trek. Each time, he just got better.  Nicole did some awesome moves as well. She spun so fast during one of the jumps that I wondered how she could stand up at the end!

Me? It was exhilarating to step out into air and feel the gear connect to the line and start you on your journey. I surprised our guide to just fall backwards off one of the platforms. They call it the leap of faith. I liked spinning. Although, it
sure made me dizzy.  In fact, I got a little motion sickness out of the deal.

The views from the tree top launches were spectacular. I am so glad the three of us got to have this experience it was special!
Miss K and Miss J with new found friends at the park
On our return trip, we stopped at Costco to refuel our larders and we had lunch. We each had a hot dog which came with a drink. Total amount for
our three lunches was less than $10!
Miss K working on a piece of blackwork











There was a Fabric-Mart nearby Costco and I should have stopped. Both Miss K and Miss J are enjoying learning the backstitch for embroidery. There could have been a little kit suitable for a kid there.

The girls, Amanda and James, spent the day at Baby Beach and playing at the playground. They had lunch at a nearby deli and in the afternoon, they all went swimming in the pool.

Salmon dinner ready to eat
For dinner, Bob barbecued a couple salmon fillets, we ate green beans from the market, rice, green salad with cucumber dressed with
a Maui onion sauce. We even had a baguette. Dessert was Mochi. It was a tasty dinner. Miss K got into Auntie's suitcase and modeled all of Auntie's clothes. It was a great fashion show and most of the outfits looked great on her. What a great end to a terrific day.

Oh and since I'm posting the last day of the month, I taught 29 participants in 29 Basic Life Support CPR (189 YTD)-- This is a total of 29 for July (total 324 YTD)!! I'm glad I'm tracking how many people I'm teaching this year as I had no idea how many people I reach!
Modeling Auntie's clothes






2 comments:

Janice Smith said...

You look pretty fearless as well doing your leap of faith jump!!! Yikes!!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Janice, I don't think many white haired females play on that course. I surprised the leader when I went without hesitation and that I wasn't rattled when he swung the ladder as I was trying to climb it. It was all in good clean fun! At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!