Sunday, July 8, 2018

Halter Dress for Miss K--First Finish 3rd Quarter Finish-A-Long 2018

The pattern and fabric for each grand
We had some warm weather which led me to believe that summer was here. I decided that I would tackle the summer dress for Miss K. I made her one last September. It was cute on her. A friend gave me the pattern and she also gave me the fabric for this project.

As you know, I can't stitch an outfit for one grand and not sew a like outfit for the other grand. When I was a kid, I had a number of experiences where some kids/grands received gifts and other kids/grands didn't. I know how it feels to see over and over someone getting extra attention and gifts. I make an effort to treat each kid/grand equally. Although, if you were to ask, each would probably finger the other or perhaps, finger themselves as the favorite. If they all think they are the favorite, they are all correct! 😀

I tried several times to stitch the striped fabric into the dress since last September. My challenge was always what to choose for the contrasting fabric. I had a piece of dotted fabric on a black background and decided that would work great.
Front and back of the top

One afternoon, I cut it out and started to stitch it. At the end of the sewing session I had the front of the top ready to stitch to the back of the top.

Before I left for work on the second day, I attached the front and back of the top together so it would be ready to attach to the skirt. I stitched the pockets to the skirt and pinned the front and the back of the skirt together.

Detail of the pocket trim
Finished dress
The following afternoon, I stitched the skirt together, hemmed the skirt, attached the skirt to the top and added elastic to the waistline. In other words, I finished it!





I used about a yard of fabric. I have now used 15 1/2 yards from my stash and I have 34 1/2 hards to go to achieve my goal of a net loss of 50 yards from my stash this year.

This was goal number 13 on my 3rd Quarter Finish-A-Long list and my first finish for the quarter!

Below is a photo of Miss K wearing her dress. It looks fantastic on her. I love her million dollar smile! I'm so glad that I stitched it!

I guess I had better get busy and stitch one for Miss J next!


Miss K enjoying her new dress









4 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

Lovely granddaughter! And the dress is cute too.

Nancy said...

Very cute dress. It looks wonderful on her!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, she is just lovely! Thanks for the comment about her new dress!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, she liked it so much that she decided to wear it home instead of putting back on her dress that she wore when she arrived to visit us!