Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Tis the Season For Swimsuits--Fourth Finish for 3rd Quarter Finish-A-Long 2018

Making the pattern
Youngest daughter asked me to stitch her a new swimsuit as our trip to Hawaii was approaching. She said to use my pattern; but, to make it a couple inches longer! First, I needed to see what fabric was available. She stated the, "I would prefer not to have flowers," comment which was followed by, "but, if that is all that is available, that is okay." She sure didn't apply any pressure did she?

I did have a couple pieces of fabric that I'll be able to get a swimsuit out of that doesn't have a floral motif; but, the pieces were about two inches too short to get a suit out for her. I did have two other pieces that would work. One piece did have flowers; but, the flowers were more geometric than floral.

Fabric 
I haven't purchased printed swim fabric in years. People, cleaning out their fabric stashes, have gifted me pieces over the years. These are two such pieces! I did purchase some black swim fabric last year as when I teach lessons the "uniform" for instructors is a black suit.

Next, I drew a pattern that would have the appropriate alterations. The pattern fabric, I think, was originally for piecing miniature blocks. I picked it up from the free table at a guild meeting a couple months ago. It worked perfect as pattern paper though!

Cutting out the fabric was interesting because of the print in the purple. That is a sun setting which I thought would be great for a suit. The challenge was where the sun was going to be on the body. I sure didn't want it hanging over one side of her chest! After much consideration, I ended up putting it on the rear of the suit. I hope the print is above her waist!

There wasn't enough of the print for two whole suits. I did cut out two fronts, one and a half backs and one strap. I used the black fabric to cut one back and one strap. Then I cut out the lining fabric. Commercially made suits generally are lined in the front; but, I can get more mileage out of the fabric if it is totally lined so I line the front and the back.

Finished back
I bought a bolt of black lining fabric and I try to choose fabrics that work with the black lining. I do have a printed fabric on white that will need beige lining. I was on a hunt for beige lining last fall. I haven't found it yet. I may need to go online to purchase it which surprises me. Although, I imagine that there aren't many people who make swimsuits! The bolt of black lining fabric will keep me in suits for many years and I have enough gifted fabric on hand to make half a dozen more suits.

At some point, I'm going to be receiving more gifted fabric so I'm not concerned that my stockpile is a little low! (A friend who is clearing out her sister's stash offered me the swimwear fabric. I said I would take it all as chlorine treats all lycra fabrics equally!)

While I was cutting, I cut out the black swimsuits that are goal number 18 on my Finish-A-Long list. Cutting out the fabrics is always my least favorite part of the process. Then, it was time to sew the suits!

Finished front
I generally serge the edges as this process makes the seams more stable. . .besides, having an extra stitching line is good insurance against unwanted exposure! In one sewing session, I stitched the body of the suit and the lining. The second sewing session, I pinned and basted the two together. In the evening, I trimmed away the lining next to the basting line to reduce the bulk. During the final sewing session, I applied the elastic.

This was goal number 23 on my 3rd Quarter Finish-A-Long list. It is my fourth finish this quarter! I used two yards of fabric. (One yard for the suit and one yard for the lining.) I have now used 20 yards from my stash. I have 30 yards to go to achieve my goal of a net loss of 50 yards from my stash this year.

I'd better get going on her second suit!

2 comments:

Ella said...

I have yet to try a swimsuit. It's a great color! Congrats on the finish, and, on behalf of the FAL crew, thanks for joining in!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Go for stitching one, Ella. As long as you firmly stretch the seams and the elastic as you sew, the stitching part of the project isn't tough. My daughter has enjoyed wearing this suit often! Thanks for dropping in!