Wednesday, April 18, 2018

2018 CCQ Quilt Show Results

Mt. Hood--My View

The first weekend in April was the guild quilt show. I entered four projects and an entry in the block challenge.

I already posted about my challenge block. Today, I'm sharing the results as well as the judges comments.

I entered "Mt. Hood--My View." Wow, it won a 3rd place ribbon! The judges comments were:
Visual Impact: Excellent--Reflections well handled
Design: Excellent--Perspective achieved
Construction: Very Good--
Quilting: Good--Multitude of quilting motifs adds to the flavor
Finishing: Good--Take care to make corners square or slightly curved.

I entered it in the appliqué category. 
Me seeing the ribbon hanging on Rue!

I also entered Rue. Was I ever surprised that it won a blue ribbon! This was my first time to make a modern style quilt. I had started this quilt years ago. 
The judges comments were:
Visual Impact: Excellent--Positive negative effect is well accomplished. 
Design: Excellent--Diagonal lines create great movement
Construction: Good--some satin stitches could be neater
Quilting: Excellent--Variety and changes in scale of quilting designs as well as big stitch and machine quilting add to complexity
Finishing: Good--Corners should be square or slightly rounded

I entered it in the modern category.



My final judged entry was  "The Chickens." Seeing the blue ribbon really made me smile and reading the comments made me smile even more because there was no mention about any fabric bleeding!

Judges comments were:
Visual Impact:Very Good--Center Rooster could use greater contrast of value
Design: Excellent--Applique flowers move the eye about the quilt
Construction: Very Good--Some curves could be more smoothly curved
Quilting: Very Good--Change of scale in quilted areas adds dimension
My favorite quilt in the showFinishing: Very Good

I entered it in the appliqué     category. 

I will post about my challenge entry soon. All in all, I'm humbled that my pieces placed so well. I don't enter to win a ribbon; but, rather to share my work. 

I have to confess though, seeing my work hang makes it look so special! Winning a ribbon is just icing on the cake!

There were many beautiful and amazing quilts at the show. The talent of our guild members  never fails to blow me away.  There were over 300 quilts at the show so there was a lot to see. Joanne over at "She Quilts It" posted many of my favorites. Please go visit and read her post about the show here. Joanne is an amazing quilter and innovative designer so adding her blog to your reading list will just bring more eye candy to your day!

Quilt information
My favorite quilt of the show was this one! My friend, Nancy Tubbs, made it. All those triangles are needleturned appliqué! I loved all the filler designs that she used to quilt her piece.  The lavender and navy lines are beads. What a great way to add visual impact!

I worked a white glove shift on the last day of the show. I look forward to the show next year as there will be even more amazing quilts entered!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! You really swept the show! Congratulations!! The ribbons are all well-deserved!

I love your friend's quilt, too! Thanks for sharing!

Janice Smith said...

Wow! Congratulations!!!
Your show judges certainly make some detailed, constructive comments.
Give yourself a hearty pat on your back from me. :-)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you Nancy. Winning a ribbon is always special. I hope you checked out my friend's post of the show so you could see some of the award winning quilts!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Janice. I appreciated the pat! This year, the comments were more detailed than ever before.

Nicole Knott said...

I do like the triangles the contrast of the white and the movement... cool. Mt Hood is still quite special, although not sure it'll help keep me warm. :) Congrats on the recognition and glad to see the chickens finished.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nicole, that is what I thought about those triangles! Mt. Hood might keep your thighs warm. . . .or maybe your toes. . . .Thanks! I too am happy that the chickens are finished!