Sunday, April 15, 2018

Challenge Block--revealed

Original pattern for the block
The Clark County Quilter's quilt show has been held so I'll share the block that I created back on a snow day last February. By the time that I drew this pattern, I had had quite a bit of practice with the compass as well as practice drafting the geese. This part of the process didn't take long at all!

Some of the fabrics auditioned for the block
I also took a little time to determine the Kaffe fabrics that I wanted to use. I was given two Kaffe fabrics as inspiration and I purchased the required square of the pink Moda Grunge fabric. I also had picked up a couple small pieces of Kaffe fabric from the guild free table. I had hoped that this combination would work into the block. Unfortunately, my color palette was too low volume for my eye. So I dug into my stash. I located a darkish purple print Kaffe fabric!

Finished block
I started paper piecing the geese. I was able to cut just enough geese from the stripe and pink Grunge fabrics. I had wanted just Grunge geese; but, I didn't have enough fabric. I like that the stripe adds some whimsey to the block. (Perhaps, I needed that stripe fabric all along!)

I also fussy cut the floral print chunk so that the flower would be easily recognizable.

I like how the purple wings for the geese made the geese appear to float in the block. A happy accident is that I didn't realize that I had a yin and yang design until I was finished! Another time, I might choose to make the curves more gentle so that it would have been easier to piece together. I also might graduate the geese so they were smaller at one end.

For this project, I wanted the geese to be able to "fly" horizontally or vertically in either direction so I kept the geese size similar. I definitely plan to use this technique again!
Entries

All of the block entries were amazing! First place was top row third from the left which was MINE!!!! I was shocked! In addition to a first place ribbon and a small cash award, this block will be made into the pin for members to purchase. A number of members collect the pins.

I look forward to seeing how these blocks end up in a quilt. The quilt will be stitched and quilted during the next year. The year after that or the third year, the quilt will be revealed and will become the opportunity quilt for the guild. Members will have selected a charity and will sell tickets for chances to win the quilt in a drawing. The drawing is held during the last day of the guild quilt show. All the monies raised will go to the selected charity. The quilt is awarded to the winner of the drawing.



4 comments:

Nancy said...

Very cool block! Congratulations on your win!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations,Terry. Those geese are flying ever so gently across the block. Very unique. Gail G

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Gail, Thanks so much for your comment. I so enjoyed going to the show with you!