Sunday, November 5, 2017

Mt. Hood--5th Finish 4th Quarter Finish-A-Long 2017 (FAL)

Inspiration book
I was inspired to finish this project because of the Thread Tales book this quarter.  The books' title was "Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher: The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis" which Timothy Egan wrote. For this biography, Egan compiled many research materials and was skillful at telling and showing us Curtis' story.

Curtis spent more than 30 years documenting the stories and rituals of many North American Indian tribes.  He didn't have crews of people or plenty of money to help him with his task. You will have to read the book to find out what his journey to preserve the past cost him.

Early in Curtis' photographic career, he took photos on Mt. Rainer and enjoyed not only the serenity of the area; but, the sunlight at the beginning and the end of the day too. He loved taking photographs where he could also photograph the reflection of the subject in the water. This was the part of the book that helped me get going on quilting my piece!

Outline, ditch quilting completed 
Sky completed with background fills
Back of quilt
After I stitched around the tree branches, in the ditch and around the appliqués, I knew that I wanted to stitch different textures in the sky to represent a breeze and clouds. I started mapping the sections with a grey 40wt polyester thread and then played with 100 wt blue silk thread.

It was challenging determining a background fill stitch that didn't take extra effort to work around the appliqué blossoms.

After the I finished the sky, I moved on to quilting the mountain and the mountain reflection. I also added more quilting lines in the water area. I stitched with 40wt polyester thread because I wanted more definition and I also liked the sheen the stitched lines had when I was finished. To provide more depth in an area, I followed with a smaller background fill and used 100 wt. silk thread. I found it challenging to stitch the fills in the opposite direction for the reflection though!

Label with all the information I might need
Once I finished the quilting, I applied a facing. Fortunately, I had enough of the backing fabric left for the facing. I did select a batik fabric from my scraps to become the hanging sleeve and I inked my label. After, I completed hand sewing the edge of the facing, label and sleeve in place, I decided my piece needed a little bling. I added a few crystals.

This was goal number 2 on my 4th Quarter Finish-A-Long 2017 list. I used three yards of fabric from the my stash making this project bringing my total to 36 1/2 yards of the 50 yards that was my goal for the year. Cost to make this project was $93. I bought paint which wasn't much; but thread adds up fast! Hours to complete was 52.
Finished wall hanging
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

8 comments:

JoJo said...

Way to go on not only reaching the finish line, but passing it like it wasn’t even there. Your ‘view’ is magnificent.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Awe, JoJo, such high praise from the teacher! Thanks!!! I'm blushing!!

Regina said...

Oh that is so pretty! I wish I had such talent.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Regina! I use the quilting needle like some people use a color crayon. I just play!

Ella said...

It's a stunner! I had fun with the mini I made this year. You're making me want to do more. Thank you for participating on behalf of the 2017 FAL crew!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Ella for your kind comment about my Mt. Hood project. It was fun incorporating different techniques. Thank you for being part of FAL. I have found the quarterly process so helpful to finish projects that have been hanging around. . . .sometimes for a very long time!!!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Terry, what an amazing quilt. It really looks great!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Andree, thank you for your kind comment. I liked the whimsical approach you took for the same inspirational post. It took me a long time to get this project to the finish line. I do plan to take a few more trips with JoJo!