Sunday, August 20, 2017

Mending/Alteration--2nd Finish for Third Quarter Finish Along ( FAL) 2017

Add caption

Luann over at Create Today was right. It didn't take long to shorten those pants that have been hanging in my closet for three years! I was to the point that I needed them. Plus, as few weeks ago, I found another pair of jeans on sale for $6 that I brought home. It was a bargain that I couldn't pass!!

Now, I had three pair of pants to shorten. I had to get the job DONE! There are lots of You Tube videos and tutorials available on how to shorten jeans keeping the existing hemline, if you are interested in doing this for yourself.

I didn't need to shorten two pair much at all. I was lazy and I didn't even trim that little piece away. What was the hold up was having to try on each pair of pants and mark the length. This is not impossible to do by yourself, but, not easy when you don't have a mirror where you can really see the proposed hemline on the pants.

Chewed sleeve portion cut away
The first time, I basted the hem and then tried on the pants again. I thought the pant leg was a little short so I redid that leg and found the 1/4" that I added to the length was just right. I had these done in about an hour. It took at least that long to repair the top that Bailey had chewed the sleeve on three years ago!

I ended up getting out the serger and
Three pair of pants, one shirt ready to wear!
serging the hemline to stabilize it so I could machine stitch a blind hem. The sleeves were long--almost to my wrist--now they are a little longer than three quarter length. The sleeves are still a length that I like. This little pile is now out of mending and into the closet so I can wear them!

I dislike mending so much; but, three years is a long time to procrastinate from completing a simple job. This was goal #9 of my list which you can review here and my second finish for the quarter!

It is back to work on the chicken and the QAYG projects; BUT, my sweet hubby and I are recently back from spending 10 days in France. The next posts will be about the trip!

10 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

I knew you could do this! Nice to have things out of the basket.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Luann! It is WONDERFUL to have this items out of the basket and to have an empty basket! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Terry. Can't wait to see photos of your trip to France and read all about it. ~Gail

Anonymous said...

Terry, I can sympathize with the mending. I use to tell myself that I could not start a new sewing project until I had repaired 4-5 items. It helped to keep the mending jobs in check when the kids were growing! Cannot wait to hear about your trip. --Connie

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Connie, I just mended a dress for the oldest daughter. It was good to "just do it!" Gosh, I dislike mending. . . .STILL!!!! :) The basket is still EMPTY and I LOVE it that way! :)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Gail! It was an amazing trip!

Luann Fischer said...

Terry,
If you actually have a basket that is designated for mending items, repurpose it That way there's no place to 'house' mending and it just becomes second nature to get it taken care of as soon as possible. Just a thought,,, I'd say to fill it with some special goodies, put a bow on it, and have your guild use it for a door prize.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Good thoughts, Luann, my mending "basket" was a pile on top of another pile that I ended up moving to a hanger. . . .the "basket" is "virtual!" tee tee! :)

Ella said...

It's like finding a new wardrobe! Congrats!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Ella, it was like having a new wardrobe! I am enjoying it still! Thanks for dropping by!