Sunday, July 30, 2017

Pebbles. . .COMPLETE!!!!

Pebbled background. . .COMPLETE!

Approximately 60 hours later, I did it! I've quilted the background of this chicken wallhanging with pebbles. Yes, it felt like a forever project! I'm glad I listened to the quilt telling me that it wanted all those pebbles because those pebbles do put the emphasis on the chickens!

Fifth chicken quilted
I also have completed quilting all the chicken bodies! In the chicken above, I used a metallic thread in the darker part of the print on her leg and thigh. I like how I was able to mimic the line from her neck to her tail.
Sixth and final chicken quilted
I used a light blue thread on the above chickens wing and generally used the print of the fabric to guide my quilting. I especially liked how the quilting on the brown fabric worked. Time to quilt all these chicken bodies and the center rooster--Approximately 18!

I was asked in the last chicken post if I had any tips of working with metallic thread. I'm going to share what works for me here:
--The brand seems to matter. Superior metallic, Floriani metallic and Sulky Gold metallic on a stacked spool cause me fewer challenges than Fil-Tec Glisten metallic, Sulky sliver or other Sulky metallic threads. (I'll explain about a stacked spool in a couple lines!) The more rough or wiry the thread feels to the touch, the more temperamental it is for me.
--I use a 90 top stitch needle. If the thread wants to shred, I will try an 80 or 90 metallic needle. I also start with a new needle.
--I pay attention to how the thread is feeding. If it is a cross wound spool, I use the horizontal thread holder; if it is a stacked spool, I use the vertical thread holder. Click the link to learn more about cross wound and stacked threads. The less the thread twists, the happier you will be! I've even used a thread stand which allows the metallic thread to relax.
--I stitch slowly and watch to see if the thread is trying to shred. If it is, I stitch shorter passes.
--I may lower the top tension and I stitch a bit on my practice sample to ensure I am going to have success.
If you use metallic threads, what tip would you share?

French knots to give texture to the grapes
What is left with this project? Plenty!  
--stitching veins in a few leaves
--stitching the brown vine where the leaves attach
--the flowers need quilting
--a few buds and irregular leaves need quilting
--grapes need texture
--the border needs quilting

I tried my hand at stitching French knots on the grapes. I like the texture the hand stitching provides. I like using a perle cotton thread that was gifted to me years ago. I just about have figured out how to hide my knot and to travel so my stitching shows little on the back of the project.

Then it will be on to applying the facing and the sleeve.
More to come; but, progress feels TERRIFIC!!!

10 comments:

Monica said...

Well, there are a few little fiddly bits left, but I think you will fly through them. Woooo hoooo! It's really looking good, Terry. :D

Nicole Knott said...

goosebumps.... Thinking maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to warm up soon... The chickens will need to find a home where they can be admired and loved for all the work that's gone into them!! Keep pushing...nearly there!

Luann Fischer said...

I'm so enjoying the progress you have shared on this. I love pebbles, but I doubt I'd hang in there for the amount needed n a full quilt. My granddaughter, Myriah age 9, has a flock of chickens (50) and I'm toying with the idea of 'one' chicken/rooster pillow for a Christmas present. I'm going to check back through your posts to see if I can find out more about the pattern you used. If you didn't ever mention the name and author, please do. Thanks Terry. And 'way to go, girl' !

Barbara said...

Congrats on the progress. Taking it one (okay...two!) pebbles at a time! Enjoy the accomplishment. And, by the way, it looks stupendous!!

...and thank you for my drawing prize. I have it hanging on my design wall :-)

Nancy said...

How exciting to have all of those pebbles done! It takes a long time, but it's so worth the effort. They really do make the background recede and the chickens come forward! Beautiful!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Monica, those French knots are extra fiddly!!! I'm plugging away and happy that I am this far! Thanks for celebrating with me!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nicole, well you just never know how those goosebumps might get warmed. . .Those chickens will be living on a wall in the house for a time. Talk about a FOREVER project. . .oh yeah, I have been sharing all about it! :)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, the pattern is Maggie Walker's Country Journal. I like your idea of "one" chicken/rooster! Thanks!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Barbara, for celebrating with me that the pebbles are FINISHED. I'm also honored that your drawing prize is hanging on your design wall!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy. I'm glad to have those little circle in my past!!!