Sunday, July 16, 2017

Quilting the HH Hall Building Project

Threads used during the machine appliqué process
I've been living and breathing this building project for sometime now.  I'm supposed to deliver it to the person applying the binding by August 1. In my last post, I wondered how long it would take me to stitch down all those pieces.









Zig zag around the fused pieces

It took about five hours for me to stitch around all the fused pieces. I thought that it would take more time than that; but, then again, it is a smallish piece! I'm sharing a photo of most of the threads I used. Isn't it amazing how many different colors I used?
Pin basted and ready to quilt

Now, it is on to the quilting stage. I used those threads to quilt this piece. Once those threads are out of their storage area, I keep them out until I've finished the project. I'll also use some silk threads. The batting is White and Warm. One of the group quilted her piece in this and offered the rest of us pieces so that we all used the same batting. It wasn't a "rule" to use the same batting; but, I decided that I would take her up on her offer!


As is my practice, I begin the quilting by stabilizing the piece which means I stitched around all the shapes. This does take some time; but, this step helps keep the fullness--if there is some--evenly distributed.
Stitched around the shapes and then added a few more lines
Once I've stitched around all the shapes, I start to play! The chalk line you see below is the finished edge of the piece. The quilting took me about five hours. Remember, I quilt 15-20 minutes and then take a little break and then repeat!

To achieve the shading that you see around the sidewalk, I used a marker. Gosh, I've been using those quite a bit!!!
Evidence of a little thread play






































Photo of my section
 It isn't stitched quilted as densely as I would have quilted it had it been my own project. Since each piece is supposed to match the next piece, others may have decided just what I did! Thanks Lynn C. for letting me know that I was on the right track! I have seen one other project in the fused phase.

I have taken this piece to the person who will bind it along with all the others. I have seen a couple other projects. Knowing what I know now, I would have quilted it more.

It will, however, be great to see the building "assembled" with all eight pieces in October at the Featured Artist Show. I'll share photos at the end of the show. I'm pleased with this almost finish!
Reading for the facing and the sleeve
Now it is back to that "pesky" chicken project!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Your piece looks wonderful! Can't wait to see it with the others!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy! I can't wait either! :)

Monica said...

You did a wonderful job on this, Terry! It will be so interesting to see it all together. It feels like a long wait, but I bet time will fly.

Too bad chickens are flightless, I bet you wish they would fly too!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Monica, the time will fly and perhaps, those chickens will be "roosting" on a wall instead on hanging about in the studio! :)

Janice Smith said...

Hi Terry,
Your section looks great. You were right to go with a little less quilting not know what the others would do. It will be fun to see it when it is all put togeher.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Janice! A little less was a good plan. Seeing one other. . .had I known, I would have quilted more. It will be fun to see it together!