Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Quilting Lines Among the Pebbles

Pebbles filling the background
I'm progressing with the pebbles. I've quilted some lines in the bodies of the chickens to take a break from going around and around. I had a question about why I decided to use silk thread to quilt the majority of this piece. For this project, I wanted the emphasis to be on the appliqué. To me, this means that the thread choices in the quilting will be subtle and the quilting motifs will provide texture in such a manner that is also subtle. Silk thread is great for providing texture. It is light weight and the little bit of sheen that reflects from the light heightens the effect of the quilting texture.

Silk thread is expensive. I have spent about $27 just quilting these pebbles! Wonderfil 100 weight polyester called InvisaFil and Superior 100 weight polyester called MicroQuilter would probably work too although, I haven't used those threads that way. . .yet!

Threads that blend, quilting that provides texture
Most of the time for this project, I've chosen a thread color that blends with the fabric. Consequently, the quilting isn't seen right away. If I don't have a thread that is close to the background color, I will use one that has a similar value. Sometimes, if I don't have a thread that seems to work at all, I'll audition a metallic thread.
Third chicken quilted!






































Another question I've had, is how do I decide how to quilt a section. I spend a lot of time thinking about that!! Sometimes, I use the curve of the shape to put in a stitching line. (This was how I quilted most of this chicken's body!) Sometimes, I use the design in the fabric to stitch. (This was how I quilted the feet!) Sometimes, I want to convey a feeling of a shape. In this case, I wanted these chickens to have definite feathers. Sometimes, I test my thought of a shape by drawing chalk lines and then stepping back to see if what I envisioned in my head is going to work. See the lines in the photo of the close up of the third chicken?

Notice in the photo above, I quilted a different line than what I had envisioned and chalked in the  close up photo. Sometimes, what I envision in my head doesn't work on the project! Did you see the metallic thread that I used to give some of the feathers around his head a little bling? I did make some progress with quilting the background too! Below is a close up of the head.
Metallic thread usage
I did quilt another chicken. I neglected to snap a "before" photo. My favorite parts of this block are the comb, the space under the beak and the feet. I've used a thread with similar value for the comb to create that textured effect. I used the fabric design to quilt the space below the beak and the feet.
Fourth chicken quilted
I used a metallic thread to set off the feet. I now have four chickens left to quilt.  Hey. . .I'm half way! Of course, there is that pebbling to be done too!
Metallic thread use on the feet.
The stitch work is slow going as I'm still working through that darn painful neck and back issue!


14 comments:

Janice Smith said...

These will be the fanciest chickens ever! You are doing an awesome job!!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Janice, Thanks and I agree that those chickens have quite the finery! :) Amazing what thread will do to embellish those chicken bodies!

Monica said...

Great post! Lots of good information here. You may not see the quilting on the chickens right away, but the impact of all the pebbling is immediate. It's a wonderful texture! And it will pull you in to see the rest of the detail. It's going really well, Terry!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Monica, I hadn't considered that all that pebbling would pull one in to see the rest of the detail. What a great point you make! I look forward to seeing this piece hang on my wall!

Anonymous said...

Great chickens, keep going it's smashing :)
Wendy

Unknown said...

Wow! You're making great progress and I love all of your quilting!

(In case anyone is looking for it, InvisiFil is actually made by WonderFil, not YLI.)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work Terry!

BarbCA

Luann Fischer said...

Amazing work!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Wendy! I appreciate your smashing comment! (I've had other comments about this project over the years that weren't nearly as nice!)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, Thanks for correcting me about the WonderFil. Duh! Thanks for your support. Man, this project has been one long journey!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Barb! I'm blushing!

Monica said...

Yes, and hopefully a show or two as well!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Monica, I hadn't considered a show either! Maybe I will be brave and give it a shot.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Luann!