Sunday, April 21, 2024

Yellow Selvage Squares

Fabric line
Selvage font
Goal number two on my April list was to glue the yellow selvages into squares. Each Friday is a Zoom Sit and Sew. I treat it like a mini sewing retreat. I get to visit with other quilters and make progress on a project. If I'm stuck, I can ask for suggestions. It begins at 10am and ends at 11pm. People come and go throughout the day. 

I had thought about making more of my Temperature blocks; but, I didn't know if I could piece the blocks accurately while visiting! I decided it was safer to work on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month which is yellow instead. 

Cultivate Kindness was printed on this selvage
Yellow is tough because some shades are so similar that it is hard to differentiate the change. This time as I pulled selvages, I remembered Diann's comment to share the printed selvage edge. (You can read Diann's posts at Little Penguin Quilts.)

Weeks' and Bill's selvage
With this group of selvages, I didn't have fun figures marking the colors used in the print, Some of the selvages have been hanging around my studio for a long time  so it is great to be putting them in a project!

One more Transparency selvage

I also had some newer selvages from the Transparency top I posted about earlier this month, I do like Bernartex fabrics!

One set of yellow ready to be stitched.
At the end of Friday, I had glued enough squares to make four blocks.  Today, I had planned to stitch them. I over did on Friday. I spent yesterday taking it easy and icing my knee the maximum allowed! While I feel better today, I will again be gentle with myself.

I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework and to Angela at So Scrappy for The Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are fun, Terry! I do love seeing what's on the selvage - especially the ones that have a little message. Hope your knee is feeling good today!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Selvedges are so much fun now! I love the ones with little chickens, foxes, etc., and even the ones that just give the year are interesting. So glad you're being gentle with your knee, hope it heals up soon!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your yellow selvage blocks are looking fabulous. I am intrigued by the glueing process. Do you mind if I ask if you glue them to a foundation piece or to each other?And then do you stitch over them ? I have been saving my selvages and sometimes leave little to work with. Glueing sound like an option to get rid of some of those scraps. Have a wonderful day, Terry and take care of that knee. Hugs.

Janice said...

What a fun idea to include the selvages!

Keep that knee iced and tested. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the anonymous post. I can’t seem to log in! this is Jill from emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk
I have never seen selvedges like these, they are so fun! I love the blocks you’ve made xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,
Along with Melisa I would love to know the process of using glue with selvedges.
I have only ever sewn them, but would love to learn something new.
Hope your knee heals well and quickly.
Jane in Australia (endurance44@yahoo.com)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Fun use of your selvages, Terry! I hope you're knee is doing better now.