Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Clue Five of Indigo Way --post 2

Some of the blocks I made Christmas Eve
On Christmas Eve, I figured out that I had enough of the focus fabrics to cut the squares for the square in a square block that is what we are making for Clue number five of the Indigo Way mystery. Click the link if you would like to learn about Bonnie Hunter's mystery of if you would like to join in on the fun.

Adding the first corner
I purchased that fabric at an estate sale at least ten years ago although I'm thinking that was more like 15! I've tried to use it in several projects; but, there wasn't enough of it. It is perfect for this project! After I figured out I had enough of the focus fabric, I made at least one and sometimes more of the square in a square variations that were listed in the clue.

Adding the second set of two corners
This clue isn't difficult to stitch. I went with the paper piecing route because it used the smallest size of the center square. I'm painless paper piecing which means that I tack the center square in place with a little glue. I'm using a glue stick from The Dollar Store which comes in a package of at least glue sticks. This glue easily releases the fabric from the paper after I'm finished stitching the block.

Moving toward finishing clue five
I used Bonnie's Essential Triangle Tool ruler to cut the corner triangles for the block. I placed them with a little of the square fabric exposed so I took a smaller seam with the triangle. This worked well for me. I either came out perfectly with the triangle or needed to trim a bit. While I printed two pages of the paper piecing patterns or eight blocks. I've used just two block patterns. 

I might finish clue five after work today. If I don't, I'll finish it tomorrow. Then I'll be ready for clue six!

2 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Wednesday, Terry. Woo Hoo that you have enough of the fabric for this project. It was just waiting for the perfect project to be used in. Great tip on using the glue stick for paper piecing too. Have a lovely day at work and a wonderful evening in the sewing room. Hugs

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a fun focus fabric for the dark blue sections! Glad you had enough of it and your paper-piecing method is working out well, too. Looks like you're keeping up really well!