Sunday, April 2, 2023

March ReCap and April Goals

Goal number one
For March, my goals were:

✔1. Keep up making EPP blocks and adding them to the temperature quilt. Watch for a post in May.

✔2. Take Chilhowie to the quilter.

✔3. Make a sample for my EPP "Beyond the Flower Garden" class.

✔4. Quilt the baby quilt that I started last month using Martha's flannel leftovers.

✔5. Design the project for the book, "River of the Gods--Genius, Courage and Betrayal--In Locating the Source of the Nile" by Candice Millard.

Goal number seven
✔6. Make a birthday present for the youngest granddaughter.

✔7. Continue making progress with the free motion quilting of the Lone Star. I was down to the last days of the month before inspiration struck as to what curve to stitch in the outer ring. 

✔8. Spend time learning my embroidery software each week.

✔9. Write a post about the challenge quilt that was in the October guild show. 

✔10. Write a post about a baby quilt I gifted last November.

One block to "fix"
It was another good month in terms of making progress!

For April, my goals are:

1. Keep up making and inserting EPP blocks into the temperature quilt. As I wrote this post I noticed, that I have one block stitched with the high temperature fabric stitched to the right instead of the left side of the block. Repairing that mistake will take some time. 

One wouldn't think that "unstitching" hand stitching would be difficult; but, it is. My stitches are close together. The knicker knots that I use to begin and end each side are the real buggers. I know for sure that these stitches aren't going to rip out!

2. Prepare lecture notes for my EPP "Beyond the Flower Garden" class.

Goal number seven--note the temperature
quilt in the background
3. Finish piecing the project for the book, "River of the Gods--Genius, Courage and Betrayal--in Locating the Source of the Nile" by Candice Millard. Between the scraps for this project and the bulk of the Lone Star quilt on the quilting table, my flat surfaces are covered! I need to make enough progress to reclaim my cutting table and ironing board!

4. Stitch a Christmas stocking for the youngest granddaughter. I have a pattern in mind. Next steps will be to locate it and select fabrics. I plan to shop my stash first!

4. Continue playing with the embroidery module/software for my machine. I need to document my experience last month.

6. Begin filling in the areas with free motion quilting that I've outlined in the Lone Star. My body still rebels against quilting so I must be mindful about taking breaks and completing a little rather than a lot. If I do too much, I set off pain to my head, neck, back, hip and arms! 

7. Document my recent trip to London in Wednesday posts. I'll likely start with a post about making my first meal after my return.

I'm linking to Cynthia and Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. She's recently done a little spring cleaning and made some blocks from leftovers of other tops. She and her posts always inspire me to keep playing with scraps.

3 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Good luck with your goals, you've got a lot going on! I really like the quilting on the Lone Star, and the temperature quilt is intriguing. I agree with you about ripping out hand sewing, which I absolutely hate to do! The only thing worse is teeny tiny machine stitches. In multiple rows. With batting attached. Ack!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Look at all those checkmarks - way to go, Terry! I don't envy you having to redo those pieces in your temperature quilt, but you'll be happier if you do. What is a knicker knot? That's one I haven't heard of before. Have a great Sunday!

Marti said...

You are amazing! Your temperature quilt is really interesting. Is the stitching code for temperature too? Sorry you have to unstitch but years from now, you'll be glad you did.