Sunday, March 5, 2023

Flannel Strings Finished--post 2 of 2

Quilting, thread and label
My quilting plan for this project was to use the walking foot. I wanted the thread to provide texture and to blend in with the fabric. I used a 40 weight polyester thread made by Superior for quilting in the yellow strips. I used a 100 weight polyester thread made by Wonderfil to quilt in the ditch and in the bobbin.

I set the alarm on my phone. Every 30 to 45 minutes I stopped quilting and took a stretch break. Most breaks ranged in time from five to 15 minutes. 

I did take a couple hour breaks throughout the day. I walked around. I completed neck and back stretches. I continued until I not only had finished quilting the project; but, I bound it as well! When finished, it measured 35 inches wide by 39 inches long.

Finished front
The following day, I was tired and a little stiff. I was not in pain. Wahoo! I am healing and I am progressing toward quilting at least as much as I did before being rear ended in that car accident!

I did choose a blank label. When this project is in line to be gifted, it won't take long to write the information on the
label and stitch it to the back of the quilt.

I used about two and a half yards of stash in this project. I have now used negative two yards from my stash. This is finish number two for the year. It was goal number four on my March list

Flannel leftover containers
I was able to reduce the string bits in the two gallon plastic bag by at least half. This is the seventh flannel quilt that I've made from Martha's flannel bits! 

Gone are the fabrics in a banker's box and two sheet set zipper bags. All the small flannel scraps are in a small acrylic project box. All the bigger flannel scraps are in the larger acrylic tub. I anticipate making a number of baby quilts out of these fabrics over time. 

I had planned that the next time I worked with the flannel scraps,  I would work on the "boy" strings. Instead, I'll make some blocks using the larger chunks. The leftover bits will provide more variety to the remaining strings. 

I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. Pour a cuppa and enjoy what others are making with scraps!

5 comments:

maggie fellow said...

such a fun and colorful and cozy quilt - nice job

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Yay! I am so happy to hear your pain is at least manageable now. It is good that you are able to get back to quilting. Thanks for sharing your lovely quilt with Oh Scrap!

Ivani said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish, Terry. Your flannels are so bright and happy, I wish I could find flannes like yours here. Your quilt looks to be very cozy, and you did also a great job with the quilting.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a fun quilt, Terry! I really like the yellow dotted fabric in between the rows of strips. So glad you were able to spend those chunks of time quilting and not be too sore the next day!

Preeti said...

That yellow Chinese coins quilt is the definition of joy and happiness, rolled in sunshine :-)