Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Woven with Love--

Pieced back
Our Thread Tales book club read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer. The author wrote the book as a series of letters of how the islanders coped with the lack of supplies and German occupation on the island of Guernsey during World War II. They wrote to Julia who was a journalist/writer.

Quilting pattern
I would classify the book as historical fiction. What struck me was how the group banded together and ended up ensuring that a child, Kit, would always have "family" and love even though she didn't have her biological mother. Her mother was sent away from the community for being Polish. Later the reader learns that this mother died in a concentration camp.

Label
There were a lot of characters in the book and their stories were woven together. The characters looked after one another. They found ways to share what they had.

About this time, I watched a segment of Fons and Porter Love Of Quilting that the pair demoted a basketweave pattern. I thought that the pattern was perfect for a project. Piecing with partial seams is how I stitched the pattern.

One of the ladies in my water aerobics class decided she wasn't going to make any more quilts and she gifted me a book and a few of her scraps. I used her scraps to stitch
some of the bars on quilt top. I also pulled some scraps that had been hanging about my studio for some time! 

Finished front
I also used scraps to piece the back. For the quilting, I used my dishes to trace circles on the top. In the photo, I centered a cup, a saucer and a luncheon plate in one area. I quilted with a variegated polyester Superior Thread. Unfortunately, Superior Threads no longer produces this thread.

There wasn't enough of the emerald green fabric for the binding so, I made a two color binding. On the front the binding is green. One the back, the binding is the Kaffe purple fabric that is the outer border on the front.

I had planned to give the quilt to an expectant friend; but, she ended up having a boy. I felt that this quilt was more suited for a girl so I make a different quilt for my friend.

I finished the project in October of 2010. 



No comments: