Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Closet Organizing--

Overview of the studio 
Cleaning my studio has been on my list for years. I've slowly accumulated "stuff" from free table forays, from family and friends gifting me treasurers, from internet buys and from quilt shop runs. Instead of actually doing more than clearing a surface here and there, I would tell myself I could do it later. Gertie, my inner squirrel, was all for later because that meant she had more opportunities to entice me with a fun project or two, or three!

Left side of the studio--before
Each day I was in London, I would tell myself. Cleaning the studio had to move from clearing a couple surfaces to actually making the space a space instead of a dump site. I wrote a timeline--the month of July. 

Putting my plan into print, helps me make  progress toward my goal. "Clean studio" had been on my list for years; but, I added "start with the closet." Being specific about the goal helped too. 

I could feel my resolve weakening about beginning this project, so I shared my plan with my daughter. She said that it was time to clean it. I was grateful that she didn't say it was way past time to clean it either! 

Floor view right side of studio---before
A few days later, I shared my plan with my  husband. He was glad I was finally going to start on the "accumulation." Telling someone about my plan makes accomplishing it feel more achievable. I also have someone to support me when I'm stuck.

Originally, I planned to remove almost everything from the room and start over. I thought I could sort, destash and reorganize in about a month. Gertie, my inner squirrel, shook her head and told me I had way underestimated the scope of the project. My start day arrived. I took the before pictures.  

The closet---before
My husband helped clear the tubs and supplies from the closet to a couple staging areas. It is good to have a space to work from. The contents filled the guest bed and half of our room. Seeing the mass of supplies took me aback. No, I didn't use the Marie Kondo method of asking if the piece brought me joy. Instead, I had three piles: keep, maybe and rehome.
Staging area
 
I started on the fabric tubs that I had stored in the closet. I had four tubs of wool/wool blend fabrics and corduroy. I now have one tub. My not keep and maybe pile was on my bed when my two Oregon grand daughters came for a visit. 

Immediately, they wanted to know if they could have "fabric." I said yes, I gave them each an empty tub and said that they could take turns choosing. I also told them that I would be happy to help them sew the fabric when they were ready. 

After clearing the tubs with the wool fabrics, I was stuck
with what to tackle next.  I thought about my friend Marla who is an amazing organizer. Her tip was to put like things together so that was what I did. I had felt scraps, laces and trims in another room. Now my pile was getting bigger instead of smaller. I managed to downsize some of those. I even have space to add more to the tub because there are trims in parts of the studio I have yet to organize. 

Right side of closet--after

It has taken me two weeks to mostly sort and organize that small closet space. I figure it will take me not a month but more like three months to get the space back in sewing shape. Life like work happened so I have days where not much is accomplished. I started to berate myself for not getting more done. 

Left side of closet--after
Then I told myself, "baby steps are better than no steps. Keep going. Keep progressing. You will get there. At some point, you'll reveal the next steps and the process will take on some momentum." I also realized that I need to spend some time at my machine as organizing days after day has gotten old really fast! 

My goal this month was to clean and organize the closet
and cutting table in my studio. The reality is that this process will take much more time and effort than I had envisioned. I can see that I'll be working on the destash several times as I'm able to let more "go." 

Jean jacket back
If fabrics and notions weren't so expensive, I would destash more now. Gosh, writing that sentence is like hearing my grandmother's words from long ago! She was always repurposing and saving bits because there was some "use" left in it!

If I feel like I can use the item, I kept it. Six dollar a yard fabric is a bargain compared to the 13 to 16 dollar a yard quilting fabrics available now. I plan to continue to heavily shop my stash and to supplement projects with quilt store runs when needed.

Jean jacket front
It is great to have the batting together. I have a section of rolled batting on the right side of the closet and packaged batting on the left side. I know as I quilt, I will be using the packaged batting. More space to store a couple other fabric tubs will become available fairly soon! There are two sewing machines in the closet too. 

I marked one of the boxes "inspiration projects" so that Gertie has a place to play first. She loves this box and enjoys taking it down from the shelf. She says that she feels more valued.

I'm happy with my progress. I doubt, however, that I will manage to clear the cutting table this month. I'm currently working on the area in front of the closet. I've taken to heart the baby steps part of the plan. I set aside a pile to "deal with" each day. When I've sorted that pile or when I've had enough, I reward myself with some stitching. I end the day with a pat on the back for making PROGRESS!

Rain jacket
One of the items that came from the closet went to Miss K. She spied the jean jacket that I had embellished with lace and trim for her mama. Her mama found the jacket not to be her "style" when she was about thirteen so she never wore it. It is nice that 27 years later it has found a new home. Miss K has lots of room to grow in this jacket.

Of course, I can't send a jacket for one granddaughter and not the other so I took a rain jacket I had made for the same daughter out of the closet. My daughter wore this jacket a lot. In fact, she can still wear it; but, she was delighted to gift it to her daughter, Miss J. Miss J has some growing to do to fill out the sleeves; but, I don't doubt that will happen!

Now. . .what to do with that spoon collection that contains a good number of well tarnished silver teaspoons. . . have any of you suggestions?



3 comments:

JustGail said...

Nice work on the organizing. That's one of many Big Projects on my Really Should Do list. I haven't yet made myself dig in though. "Could be useful someday" is far too often my downfall when I try to declutter. Or I remember why I bought something and I still want to make it even though cold hard logic tells me I won't.
Keep thinking "baby steps" and a bit a day and you'll get it all done. By all means allow time at the machine to play and have a bit of fun time. Very cool that the granddaughters wanted the jackets.

Janice Smith said...

Miss K looks totally adorable in the jeans jacket!!!

I, too, am working on my small sewing room and have donated a lot of fabric to the free tables at both guilds to which I belong. In fact, I’m trying to get rid of things throughout my house. Friday is trash day, so I try to put out a bag of things I no longer need. I also have started keeping boxes from Amazon and other deliveries. As soon as I fill one with still good items, I tape it up and drop it off at local thrift shops. (I drop the box off quickly, so I don’t give myself time to reconsider and put items back on the shelf or in the closet. 😊) Is it making a big difference? I’m not sure, but as you wrote “baby steps.”

Carol Andrews said...

Terry you made great progress on your organizing! I remember what that chore was like when we were moving out of our 3600 sq. Ft. Acreage home (with a 16’ x 20’ sewing studio to an apartment with 4 or 5 sq ft of sewing space. Samantha bear drove me crazy with not wanting to rehome ANYTHING! Good luck keeping Gertie in check 😉