Sunday, July 31, 2022

Cutting Table Cleared

Before clearing the cutting table
Goal number four on my July list was to clear and organize the closet and the cutting table. I cleared the cutting table earlier in the month. 

Clearing this area took me a long time. I did it in baby steps. I would take a section of the table, sort and clear it. I didn't do it every day but most days I did give myself an "assignment!"

After clearing the cutting table
As the end of the month approached, I still had a long way to go. I considered that I wasn't going to meet my goal. Friday, Gertie whispered in my ear that I should "get on with it!" I took her advice. (Gertie is my inner squirrel. I have had many conversations with her this month; but, I will save that information for another post!)

One block laid out
I spent time sorting the bins and putting items away. I realized how super great I am about getting out supplies and planning projects. I realized I'm less than stellar about returning the supplies to their proper place and in actually completing the project. I will work on improving my clean up and finishing skills in the future.

My cutting table is useable again. Currently, I'm enjoying the view! I'm thinking I'll cut out swimsuits for the Oregon granddaughters. It's been almost five years since I did any cutting on that space. I used it as a staging area for projects. When I didn't finish a project or hit a snag, I'd just move on to the next project.

Where the cutting table was concerned, piled higher and deeper was how I rolled. Cleaning up, I put the projects that I had abandoned into a tub.  I will get to finishing these projects at some point. There were no projects that I was ready to remove from the studio. I still have too much on the table; but, it is a start!

Block parts kitted and ready to sew
as leaders and enders
To reward myself, I played a little with scraps. I decided to actually start the Bonnie Hunter leader and ender this year. Triple Treat is what she named the 2022 leader/ender. This one uses lots of 1 1/2 squares and 2 1/2 inch segments. I have an abundance of both!

Block piece laid out for one block
When my grand daughter K was over to make progress on her quilt top earlier in the month, she sewed quite a few four patches. She had so much fun putting fabric together and stitching four patches when she ended a seam when piecing rows together on her top! Sometimes, she sewed a four patch together because she wanted to see what it would look like. I decided that before there were a hundred plus four patches, I'd kit what was sewn to make blocks.

It will be a quick block to stitch. I'm using 2 1/2 inch strips that have been hanging out in my "precut" section for a long time. Sylvia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework is a master at using her scraps. Please check out the link to see what she and others are doing with their scraps!

Because it is the last day of the month, I wanted to provide a status report on my one monthly goal which was to attach all the July blocks to the body of the top. This meant that I had to finish attaching the June blocks. The June blocks are attached. Today, I'll attach the July 30th block. Tomorrow, I'll attach the July 31st block. I hadn't considered that I need to wait until the end of the day before reviewing the temperatures to be sure that I'm accurate. The important part of the process is that I'm on schedule. I now have connected the April, May, June and July blocks.

4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Clearing and organizing is always a task on the To-Do list, isn't it?! Good for you for breaking it down into doable sections. Those Triple Treat blocks are good ones. How fun that your granddaughter likes to sew the 4 patches - she's a good helper to have!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

"Rewarding myself with some scrap play"! That is my kind of reward! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Chantal said...

Oh My, Terry! We could be sisters. You said: "I realized how super great I am about getting out supplies and planning projects. I realized I'm less than stellar about returning the supplies to their proper place and actually completing the project" and that is a great description of me too. Lol. At the moment, I think I have 10 inches of cleared space on my cutting table. You are right, I need to do something about this. Love your flower fabric in the new block. Enjoy! ;^)

Carol Andrews said...

Terry you are making such great progress, not only on your projects but also on getting things tidied! Gertie did good by encouraging you instead of sidetracking you. The temperature quilt is going to be a beauty! 😉