Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Pillow Cases--Sixth Finish 2nd Quarter FAL 2020

Fabrics cut and ready to stitch
Before I cut out the second and third potholder fabrics, I cut the fabrics for two pillow cases to go with my daughter's "Leaves" quilt. I used these fabrics in her quilt. I saved the top red fabric before I put the backing together. The red fabric at the bottom of the photo was the leftover binding fabric. It was just the right amount so it was serendipitous to make a second pillow case! To give the cases a modern flair, I decided to use the pieced backing as the band on each pillow case.
Band ready to stitch

The cases will be similar; but, not the same. I'm okay with the cases being different. From a decorating standpoint, different will look more interesting on the bed!

I started with stitching the band on the pillow case. I top stitched the band along the horizontal piecing lines to add a little interest and to ensure the seams will stay put after many washings.

Finished pillow cases
Pinning the band to the pillow case makes me chuckle because it looks odd. Once the band is attached, it didn't take much more time to stitch the side and the bottom of the case. I did finish the seams using a French seam  technique.

This is my sixth finish this quarter. I used two yards of fabric in making these cases.  I have now used 37 3/4 yards from my stash in projects this year. This was goal number 17 on my second quarter FAL list. I've posted this finish on Instagram #2020falq2finish

No comments: