Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Good Fortune Borders--Post Six

First border in place
The first border for the Good Fortune mystery quilt incorporated sections of the blue and white half square triangles stitched together in a beginning step. I was short a couple HSTs. Obviously, I can't count!!! I liked using the string sections because of the added interest all those neutrals brought to the project.

Preparing the second border
I stitched what I needed and soon after I had four borders ready to attach to the quilt top. I did pay attention to the orientation of the half square triangles in the corners!  I laid the border next to the quilt edge and it fit perfectly. I love it when this happens! I stitched the borders to the top.

The second border incorporated the waste triangles from stitching the blades for the spinning pinwheels. I love it when "created parts" are used in the design!

I did lay out the HSTs (half square triangles) to ensure that I didn't end up with a bunch of the same fabrics all together in one section of the border. I stitched the appropriate number together and laid them on the quilt. . .it fit! I stitched the border to the quilt and I was excited the borders were going on without a hitch. . . .
Second and third border in place

Then I looked at the photo of the border. . .there were places where the points matched a point in the previous border. My border did not look like Bonnie's. I could either leave the border as it was or I could rip and restitch so it looked like the photo. I decided I would be happier if I ripped and restitched.

It took some doing; but, in the end I managed to get the "joined" areas "in the neighborhood." Actually on two of the sides, I had no issues. It is a square quilt so I don't know why the other two sides had issues. I loved the interest those tiny half square triangles added to the top. Mostly, I saved the points too.

Last border in process
The third border used the narrower strings that we made as one of the steps. I did measure through the middle of the quilt with my strips to ensure I wasn't letting my project grow. It didn't take long to stitch this border in place. As per Bonnie's instructions, I did have a few pieces remaining from those string strips. I added a plain cornerstone on the corner.

Then it was on to the fourth and final border. Again, I laid out the blocks in each border so that I could sprinkle the various orange fabrics. I found matching the points to be a challenge because the seams were pressed in the same direction. I don't know if that was the direction or if I pressed incorrectly. Again, it took some time; but, I managed to get the intersections to mostly kiss each other.
Finished top

These borders also fit without any issues. I was so impressed with how all of these pieces FIT! It measures 73 3/8 inches x 73 3/8 inches. As I looked at the top, it felt too small to be of service on a bed. Sigh. . .I really had planned that this border would be the last piecing I would do!



No comments: