Sunday, July 14, 2019

Purse--Second Finish 3rd Quarter FAL 2019

Pattern pieces fused to stabilizer
After stitching the hat, I had planned to stitch a skirt for Miss J. However, those kitty print scraps were calling me to see if there was enough fabric to squeeze a purse out of the leftovers. It took some careful placement of the pattern pieces, some adaptations to the pattern and piecing some sections of the fabric to make a large enough piece to cut out the pattern pieces.  After cutting out the pieces, I threw the remaining small scraps away. Miss J loved this fabric. She loves unicorns, butterflies, kitties, the colors blue and orange so I know that she is going to be excited about a purse that matches her skirt and vest!

I again used the orange fabric as the lining. This time, I used a lighter weight fusible to stabilize the purse pieces. I liked the lighter weight stabilizer. I also adjusted the handle width as I didn't have enough fabric to make the one that the pattern suggested. I wrapped a piece of the cat print around a piece of webbing. I like the way the handle feels and I know that it will hold up well to the wear that this bag may experience.
Slip stitching the turning space in the lining

I constructed the outer bag and then I constructed the lining. I almost forgot to leave a space open in one of the lining seams so that I could turn the bag right side out when I attached the lining to bag. I did remember so I didn't have to rip! WHEW!!!

I spent parts of three afternoons constructing this purse. When it was time to add the tab closure, I had a partial packet of round velcro closures in the color navy from Martha's stash. I used one pair to adhere the tab to the purse front.

Finished bag
I used 1 1/8 yard from my stash to make this project. I have now used 55 1/8 yards from my stash. I have 2 3/8 yards left to stitch before
I've met my goal of stitching 57 and one half yards from my stash this year.

This was goal number seven on my 3rd Quarter FAL list. I plan to gift Miss J both the purse and the hat at her birthday next November. I am going to have fun looking for items to put into her purse!

4 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

She’s going to be so happy with her presents. It’s hard to wait that long though, isn’t it?

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Yes, Luann, it is hard to wait!!!! I'm not always successful with waiting either! I hope she will be happy with her presents!

Lynne said...

Congrats on the finish! That is such a cute bag....I am sure that she will love it! On behalf of the entire FAL crew, thanks for participating.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you Lynne. I do hope my granddaughter enjoys the bag! Thanks for stopping by!