Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Machine Embroidered Monogram Pillow

Trial stitch out 
Goal number one on my September list was to document the pillowcase that I made for my youngest granddaughter.

She was moving to a loft style bed and her mama wanted to decorate her daughter's new bed with a monogramed pillow containing her initials. I have Bernina embroidery software which I hadn't opened in a couple of years. It was time to reacquaint myself with the program.

I played around a little with the fonts and liked at the library of monograms available. I decided I wanted to make my own monogram. My software included a few templates. I used one of the templates. I picked a font that felt a little Asian since I had used a scrap of panda fabric. 

It was fun to play in the software. I found that I needed to refresh my skills because I had forgotten a TON!

Then it was time to choose thread and stitch a sample. People often think that you pick a pattern and the machine automatically stitches the design perfectly. Not so!!!

In the trial stitch out, I could see that I needed more stabilizer, better alignment and a tension adjustment. I also decided to leave the cut away stabilizer in place around the smaller motifs. When I cut away the stabilizer in the second sample, I nicked the threads and had some of the motif unraveled.

Third sample
By the third sample, I had figured out the alignment. I had determined the best tie to cut the jump stitches.  I determined that I liked the colors and the order I stitched the colors. 

The monogram on the pillow case
The fourth time I stitched the monogram, was for "real!"I made the pillow case and topstitched the monogram to the pillowcase. I like how it turned out. My daughter liked it so much that she asked for a second pillow.

Two days later, I embarked on a second pillow. This time, when I went to embroider the monogram, the machine wouldn't recognize my hoop. I hadn't changed any settings so I didn't know what that was about! I took some time to research what could be going on and tried a fix through my settings. It worked,

Stitching the design, the thread broke and the program wouldn't allow me to restart the machine to finish the stitch out. I had surgery and when I'm ready, I'll poke around and see if I can figure out what happened. It likely is an easy fix since it was working great before!

14 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the pink, black, and white combination, Terry! That panda fabric is really cute. Your embroidery machine sounds like an interesting challenge - I hope you can get this latest glitch figured out. I can totally understand needing to focus on your recuperation right now. Hope you're doing well!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Aaw your pillowcase for your dear granddaughter is the cutest. Bummer on the machine acting "naughty" . Hopefully, it will be a quick fix . Take care, Terry and enjoy your afternoon. Hugs.

Jeanna said...

The font goes perfectly with the fabric and I love the colors! I can see why your granddaughter asked for a second one. Each machine has it's quirks. I hope you find a solution to your issue soon....after you've rested a bit.

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

That's a beautiful monogram! Love the Asian font and the colors. Good luck with your machine. Hope you are still doing well!

Vicki in MN said...

A personalized pillow-how sweet, it turned out so cute!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! She will love it. I can relate on figuring it out. My patience boss has to keep reminding me to take it slow, this takes time, a lot of thread and it is supposed to be fun. 😁. Definitely not as cut & dry as piecing. That is for sure.

Margo Yang said...

Your pillow case came out so beautifully. Well done!

Snowcatcher said...

Your adventures mirror the issues I've been having with my printer since I changed internet providers. Aargh! But in the end, your first pillowcase is so adorable. I hope the surgery goes well and the second pillow doesn't give you too much trouble.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That turned out great. THe panda fabric is super cute - but great monogram!!

Patricia in New Mexico said...

I also have a Bernina embroidery machine and she seems to have a mind of her own. Whenever I make a mistake, she punishes me. LOL! Your pillowcase came out so fun and cheerful! I pray you recover from your surgery quickly!

Karin said...

Nice work! I am sure your granddaughter will love it!

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh my. Such a process for doing machine embroidery. There's a reason I have never owned a machine embroidery module for my sewing machine; you've just reminded me of that. But yay you for doing what you did! The design is adorable, and I'm sure it will be appreciated and enjoyed. Hope you are able to easily work out what the machine's embroidery problem might be.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

What a terrific monogram! It looks wonderful on the pillow, and I can see why the little lady asked for a second one! I hope your embroidery machine will cooperate, and that you will recover quickly from your surgery. Thank you for sharing and linking up, hugs.

Bonnie said...

You did a wonderful job on the embroidery. I am so impressed that you could basically design it yourself! I've never gotten any designing software -- I have a friend that I ask for help every once in a while. She knows her stuff and I just don't want to try to learn anymore technology stuff! Hope you can figure out what needs to be changed. And wishing you get back on your feet quickly.