Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Purple Month Nine of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge--post 10

Purple Strings
Goal number three on my September list was to piece the Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks. This month the color is purple. At the beginning of the month I was organizing a bin. In the the bin were not one but two small bags of purple scraps. Adding the contents of my dedicated string bag made for a plethora of purple!

One purple block
I'm coming to the end of the constant fabric and likely I will not have enough to finish the project; but, I have another piece of fabric with dots that will work. I would have had enough of the fabric had I not changed the block orientation back in March! I'm fine with not having enough. I'm working with scraps and using it up works for me!

Two purple blocks
I had planned to make three purple blocks. I pieced enough purple for three blocks. However, I discovered that even after raiding my chunk drawers, I don't have enough variety of black strings to piece the third block. I still have enough gray strings. I did make an online order for a whole bunch of fat quarters that are a small print on a black background that appear to read as a neutral. If I use all of those, I will be asking my small group to send me some black strings. . .LOL!

Remaining purple scraps
After making these blocks, I had to see what all the blocks together look like so far. This is going to be a big quilt. . . .about 104 inches square as I'm planning to have a four by six block design. I am planning to piece grey and black string blocks to border this piece. It is likely that I will continue making blocks into next year. For sure, I want an orange, a red and a pink block. As for the other two blocks, I'm sure Gertie, my inner squirrel, will have an opinion or two to offer!! She's been telling me yellow and aqua.

All of the blocks so far
My knee surgery was last Monday. My surgeon left her initials on the knee to be revised. I said. . .what? Where is the love? She kind of looked at me and I said I think that knee needs a little pre love. How about leaving a heart? She thought that was a good idea. She said she would have to add a heart in the future.

The surgery was long (4.5 instead of three hours) and successful. I could straighten and bend my leg the day after more than I could before surgery! The top part of the prothesis was loose so I have a whole new one. I hope that is the last knee surgery I will have! I was in the recovery room for two hours--I remember nothing but the last 30 minutes or so. Because of the length of the surgery, I got to spend the night.

Marked and ready for surgery
I experienced hours of nausea. I was able to come in the afternoon the day after surgery. I was sent home with a wound vac. It is a small item that hooks to a tube in my spongy bandage. At intervals, the machine slowly compresses the bandage against the wound to remove any weeping (in two days there wasn't any). The compression blows air on the wound and helps it heal faster.

Homr
I also was introduced to a drug that blocks the nerves so there is less pain. The honeymoon from the drugs injected during the surgery have worn off. I have a lot of muscle soreness and stiffness. In the next week, this will lessen. I have less actual knee pain than I had before surgery. Recovering from knee surgery was goal number 11 on my September list.

Linking to Finished or Not Friday, So Scrappy and Sew & Tell.

No comments: