Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Purple Month Nine of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge--post 10

Purple Strings
Goal number three on my September list was to piece the Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks. This month the color is purple. At the beginning of the month I was organizing a bin. In the the bin were not one but two small bags of purple scraps. Adding the contents of my dedicated string bag made for a plethora of purple!

One purple block
I'm coming to the end of the constant fabric and likely I will not have enough to finish the project; but, I have another piece of fabric with dots that will work. I would have had enough of the fabric had I not changed the block orientation back in March! I'm fine with not having enough. I'm working with scraps and using it up works for me!

Two purple blocks
I had planned to make three purple blocks. I pieced enough purple for three blocks. However, I discovered that even after raiding my chunk drawers, I don't have enough variety of black strings to piece the third block. I still have enough gray strings. I did make an online order for a whole bunch of fat quarters that are a small print on a black background that appear to read as a neutral. If I use all of those, I will be asking my small group to send me some black strings. . .LOL!

Remaining purple scraps
After making these blocks, I had to see what all the blocks together look like so far. This is going to be a big quilt. . . .about 104 inches square as I'm planning to have a four by six block design. I am planning to piece grey and black string blocks to border this piece. It is likely that I will continue making blocks into next year. For sure, I want an orange, a red and a pink block. As for the other two blocks, I'm sure Gertie, my inner squirrel, will have an opinion or two to offer!! She's been telling me yellow and aqua.

All of the blocks so far
My knee surgery was last Monday. My surgeon left her initials on the knee to be revised. I said. . .what? Where is the love? She kind of looked at me and I said I think that knee needs a little pre love. How about leaving a heart? She thought that was a good idea. She said she would have to add a heart in the future.

The surgery was long (4.5 instead of three hours) and successful. I could straighten and bend my leg the day after more than I could before surgery! The top part of the prothesis was loose so I have a whole new one. I hope that is the last knee surgery I will have! I was in the recovery room for two hours--I remember nothing but the last 30 minutes or so. Because of the length of the surgery, I got to spend the night.

Marked and ready for surgery
I experienced hours of nausea. I was able to come in the afternoon the day after surgery. I was sent home with a wound vac. It is a small item that hooks to a tube in my spongy bandage. At intervals, the machine slowly compresses the bandage against the wound to remove any weeping (in two days there wasn't any). The compression blows air on the wound and helps it heal faster.

Homr
I also was introduced to a drug that blocks the nerves so there is less pain. The honeymoon from the drugs injected during the surgery have worn off. I have a lot of muscle soreness and stiffness. In the next week, this will lessen. I have less actual knee pain than I had before surgery. Recovering from knee surgery was goal number 11 on my September list.

Linking to Finished or Not Friday, So Scrappy and Patchwork and Quilts.

19 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh I am so glad that your surgery went well and you are at home on the mend, Terry. I will continue to keep you in my prayers as you make your way on your healing journey. I hope your new black fat quarters arrive soon. Your string blocks are so pretty. Take care. Gentle hugs.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Glad to know you're past the surgery and it was successful, Terry! I hope you're healing already. Your purple string blocks are beautiful - this is going to be an amazing quilt! Hugs!

Vicki W said...

That quilt is going to look amazing!
Glad your surgery went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

Oh that is such good news about your surgery! Sorry you had nausea, but I'm glad for you that it is behind you, and experiencing less pain than before surgery is such a good sign. Yay!!
And I love your purple blocks - the whole quilt looks spectacular!

Vicki in MN said...

Glad to hear you have less pain now. OMG I am even more in love with your string quilt after seeing the blocks all laid out.

Barwitzki said...

Oh, what interesting blocks... that’s going to be a great top :-))
I wish you all the best for your recovery after the surgery. It’s wonderful to hear that you’re already noticing improvements with your knee... that certainly lifts your spirits... and surely promotes the best possible healing... warm regards,
alt det best Viola.

Jeanna said...

Your string quilt is going to be stunning, Terry. And it is going to be big! Love it. Glad you had a successful knee surgery. Sending you hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Sara said...

Oh my - I'm glad your knee surgery went well and that the recovery hasn't been too awful so far. I'm with Vicki in saying I'm in love with those string blocks after seeing them all together. Wowza!!! They are so dramatic and beautiful.

Nancy said...

So glad the surgery went so well! I hope the recovery is quick and as pain-free as possible!! (Oh, and your quilt keeps getting more and more incredible!)

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Your colorful string diamonds are looking fabulous. Prayers for continued healing.

Snowcatcher said...

I hope the recovery continutes to go quickly and smoothly. I am loving your scrap blocks and can't wait to see the finished project!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

So glad you made it through surgery and are on the recovery side. A wound vac sounds so helpful. I remember being in the recovery room myself after anesthesia and feeling very nauseous but the nurse harassing me with--"you need to get up and out of here--you have to pay for every 20 minutes your in this room!" Now, I really love your blocks!!! Do you have a post with your original instructions?

CathieJ said...

Despite the length of surgical time, I am glad the surgery itself went well and you are recovering. Best wishes for a speedy and steady improvement. I absolutely love those scrappy string blocks.

Edith said...

I really like the look of these blocks and how they come together. Maybe inspiration for another rainbow project for me.

Carolyn said...

I’m happy to hear your surgery was successful! I hope the pain I’ll be gone soon. Good job on the purple strings—they look great!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I didn't notice in any prior photos, but these String blocks are a perfect use for those grocery store flyers, Terry! The PURPLE blocks are such a pretty addition to the collection. Glad to hear that your surgery went well. Take good care!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So glad your surgery went well and that you are on the way to recovery. All that sounds so painful - but hopefully when healed - its all gone! Your sting blocks are great. I like the idea of another yellow and teal - they are so colorful!

Sue said...

Good luck with your continued recovery. The layout with all the current string blocks looks fabulous!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Boy, that was a scary moment, I'm glad that your surgery went well. Take care and rest! Hugs