Sunday, September 27, 2026

Quilting the Butterfly--post 10 and Knee Revision Update

Warning: A short update regarding my knee revision is included at the end of this post. Knee photos follow the close up photo of the butterfly quilting. Stop reading the post at that point.
Examples of free motion quilting
in green and batik  fabrics
Goal number six on my September list was to make progress on free motion quilting my butterfly quilt. My plan is to stitch around the motifs and to take advantage of any "filler" type prints used in the design. I also plan to match the thread to the fabric so the quilting provides texture. Over the years, I've learned that plans change so I'm going with how I feel.

Stitching on pink fabrics
This project has been made with lots and lots of small scraps. There is a variety of fabrics used too. Some of the fabrics are: fashion fabric, swimwear fabric, batiks and quilting cottons. Many of the scraps are from my friend Martha's strip and crumb inventory.

Stitching pink thread on a motif
The photos represent about eight hours of free motion quilting. I believe I've stitched the black fabrics and most of the bright green fabrics. I had planned to quilt using one thread color; but, decided to quilt areas of the quilt instead. Quilting areas will allow me to keep the density of the quilting more even.

Overall view of project
I'll admit, I was getting into quilting this project. The closer the day of my knee surgery became, the less I slept so I was doing a lot of stitching at the beginning of the month! I hope to make more progress next month!

Close up of over all quilting and texture
My post surgery recovery is in full swing. I'm beginning to feel a bit of knee pain/tightness. Most of what I have felt has been muscle tightness. It's been a long time since I could extend my knee to walk so those quadriceps and hamstring muscles are protesting that I'm asking them to stretch and contract in ways they haven't. They loved their vacation!

Close up view of the spongy bandage and 
wound vac tubing
Between the wound vac system and the ice machine system, I have had little swelling and bruising of my leg. The swelling in the photo is a little less than I had before surgery. 

Bandage compressed against wound via the wound vac machine
I'm sharing a photo of the bandage as well as a photo of both knees. I'm moving forward faster than I did with my first knee surgery. 

The spongy bandage puffed up after the wound vac machine battery life ended.
Friday, the surgeon removed the spongy bandage and I returned the portable wound vac machine. I was surprised to learn that parts of the machine are recycled; but, that is thrown away. It benefited my healing process.

Steri-strips in place
The wound looked good. The edges had come together nicely. I now have steri-strips supporting the wound. The strips will fall off as the wound continues to heal. The purple lines are registration marks that the surgeon uses to close the wound. Once the wound has healed, I'll be able to try swimming. Only six more weeks to wait! Life is good!

Linking to: Oh Scrap, Sew & Tell, To Do Tuesday and I Quilted This.



No comments: