 |
| The project |
Melva from Melva Loves Scraps is hosting Lala's Irish Chain Sew Along. Last month, she released the yardage, schedule and cutting instructions and a couple sewing instructions. There is time if you want to play along too. Melva released the first clue July 16. Eight more weeks of clues will follow. The link will take you to a special section on Melva's page that she has devoted to this sew along.
Lala's Irish Chain Sew Along |
| The fabric sans the white |
This looked like a great opportunity to use a lot of stash as well as some precuts from my scrap saving system. I'm having trouble closing the lid on the precuts so it is time to use some! I decided to play along with Melva. I like Sew Alongs because of the camaraderie. I plan to use the novelty print fabric as the large white squares. The green is my main print fabric. If I decide I want borders, I may be making a fabric purchase. For now, this was good enough to start!
 |
| Squares cut |
I spent time cutting squares and am ready to sew those! Melva had us sew cornerstones on to some strips first. I had cut those out of the white scraps; but, I wanted to use the novelty print. I wasn't sure I had enough fabric.
 |
| Background fabrics cut |
I forged ahead and cut the background squares from the novelty print. Melva's second set of sewing instructions were sewing the 6 1/2 inch strips with corner stones to the background squares. Now, I could cut the background 6 1/2 inch strips. My fabric is directional so I wanted to try to cut the strips in a way that preserved the fabric orientation. I had about a third of a yard remaining which might find its way to the back!
 |
| Laying out a block before stitching |
I laid out my blocks like a nine patch and stitched away. I only wanted the orientation of the print going in the same direction. Otherwise, I stitched the pieces as they were. A kid will have fun finding the birds and bicycles in the blocks!
 |
| Completed blocks. |
I pulled colored squares at random and added them to the mix. This is a scrappy project. It didn't take long to complete the step. Melva will post week four directions tomorrow. I'm ready! Although with my London four year old granddaughter visiting, the time spent stitching is super limited!
11 comments:
I love Irish Chain designs, and Melva's sew-along is very tempting - but I still need to finish the Little House quilt from her last one! Meanwhile I'll enjoy following along with your quilt, Terry. The novelty fabric for the background plus those fun bright colors are going to be a great combination!
I love the fabric you pulled for this project. The finished blocks show how cute this quilt will be in the end. Enjoy! ;^)
I think it will be a fun and playful looking quilt! Thanks for joining the sew along and for encouraging others to join. Blessings!
How cute is that fabric!! LOVE your start on this. I did buy my main fabric last week but have been distracted this week. I hope to get going soon.
I love Irish Chain quilts! Yours is going to be so much fun!
I totally relate to have difficulty closing the lid on my scrap bin, Terry!!! Your version is looking so cute with that novelty print!!! So fun to have your GD visiting!
Irish chain quilts are so pretty! I am sure you will have fun making it.
Such awesome fabric choices for the sew along. I have a couple of bins with lids that don't close, and even a drawer that won't close. Guess I need to sew faster.
Hi there! It sounds like this will be a fun sew-a-long. I love your beautiful color choices.
Oh how sweet - yours is going to be so adorable - love your color choices!! and the center - SWEET
Oh this project will definitely help close the lid on those scrap bins! I think the print you chose for the background squares are going to make this a really fun looking one. I saw Melva's post on this last week and love a good Irish Chain design but will have to satisfy myself with just downloading the prompts and following the progress of other quilters like you for now.
Post a Comment