Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Month Eight AKA A Little Yellow--post 9

Green strings
Angela chose yellow as the color of the month for August. In June, I sewed yellow blocks as my pastel color. Last month, I determined that I needed another green and another yellow block to balance the blocks that I had already stitched. 

First of four rectangles stitched into a diamond
To that end, I started piecing the green blocks with the assistance of my four year old "helper." If the string she chose fit, I stitched it. Over four days and with a little time at the machine for me while she "rested" her eyes, we stitched enough green strings to complete one additional green block.

One more green block
Between the RSC blocks and the green strings for my book club quilt, I had few strings remaining when we finished! There are a few; but, not enough variety to piece together for another project!

Remaining strings
Last week, my helper flew home to London with her mama. I was  on my own to pull my yellow strings to stitch one more additional yellow block. 

Four yellow rectangles sewn together
Since my helper and I had pieced some of the outer sections of the rectangles, this process went rather quickly. I missed my helper when it came to the paper removal step, although I will admit to having less bits to pick up from the floor and adjacent surfaces!

One more yellow block
Again by the end, I had a limited variety of yellow strings remaining which is GREAT! The string bag looks like there is a lot; but, it is mainly one fabric.

Remaining strings
I did lay out all the blocks to see what they look like together. Next month, I plan to piece purple blocks to fill in those two blank areas. My original plan was to orient the blocks vertically to resemble diamonds. One day, I put the blocks on the design wall horizontally and saw the 3D effect. I liked this orientation much better because the blocks look faceted. 

Once I piece all the blocks, I'll play with the layout. The layout below is a 60 x 96 configuration. Originally, I was planning  a 60 x 72 "ish" configuration. Borders will be added. These will likely be pieced rectangles using the gray and black strings. Gertie, my inner squirrel, and I will work on the border challenge another day!

Blocks 
Piecing the strings was goal number four on my August list. Linking to Finished or Not Friday, Scrap Happy and Patchwork and Quilts.


21 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

The only word that fits this is stunning!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your string project is coming together so beautifully, Terry! I bet it was so fun to have a sewing helper for awhile, even it is more efficient to do it yourself. 😊The purple blocks will finish this off nicely!

Nancy said...

I really love this quilt. Hard to believe you only have two more chunks left!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How fun that you had a little helper in the sewing room. Lots of warm memories were made. I am sure you miss her terribly. Your blocks are looking amazing, Terry. It is a joy to see this quilt grow. Enjoy your day. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Your little helper had a ball!! ❤️❤️

Julierose said...

Oh your string blocks all laid out, Terry, are so lovely!! They really do look faceted--nice work on these...;))) hugs, Julierose

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

That 3D effect is mind-blowing! So your little helper lives in London - how cool! I love your green strings, and I'm going to buy an extra large box of baggies to bag my strings up like you do. :)

Kat Scribner said...

This is one gorgeous quilt in the making and I bet its gonna be heavy.

Sara said...

Wow! These are fabulous!! I think this layout is even more interesting than the other direction.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Amazing diamonds. All the work has wonderful results.

Anonymous said...

Your diamond quilt is so beautiful that I had to start one of my own! Thanks for the inspiration.πŸ˜€

CathieJ said...

Individually, I wasn't impressed by these string blocks, but when you have them all laid out together they are gorgeous! Wow!!!

Jenny said...

That is a WOW of a quilt!

Anonymous said...

Love those lettuce coloured blocks! This quilt is using up lots of strings, but, of course, there will always be leftovers. Your helper had a wonderful time and that was the most important part. Gail at the cozy quilter.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What a delightful post. I can imagine your helper beside you. I' impressed you were able to get as much done as you did. By next month the blank space will be filled in. Then the big reveal!

FlourishingPalms said...

How fun to have help while you used-up scrappy strings! I can imagine a four year-old removing paper. :-) No doubt you are missing her, and her mother, but what wonderful memories you made. Have you been to England to visit them? Your quilt blocks are looking great! As you pointed out with the photographed arrangement, the quilt top has a 3-D design. Are you adding borders because you want to make it larger? I like it without borders... in case that saves you some extra effort. You've shared a great project!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think I fall in love a little more each time!

Jeanna said...

This qult is going to be stunning, Terry. You have a lot of expert help between Gertie and your granddaughter....so lucky :)

Sue said...

I have loved seeing these blocks coming together & all laid out like that, the effect is fabulous!!

FrΓ©dΓ©rique - Quilting Patchwork AppliquΓ© said...

Working with your little helper was a real success! Your new blocks are beautiful, and the 3D effect wonderful. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous blocks and linking up!

Anonymous said...

This is looking amazing! I expect you missing your little helper :)