Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Month Eight AKA A Little Yellow--post 9

Green strings
Angela chose yellow as the color of the month for August. In June, I sewed yellow blocks as my pastel color. Last month, I determined that I needed another green and another yellow block to balance the blocks that I had already stitched. 

First of four rectangles stitched into a diamond
To that end, I started piecing the green blocks with the assistance of my four year old "helper." If the string she chose fit, I stitched it. Over four days and with a little time at the machine for me while she "rested" her eyes, we stitched enough green strings to complete one additional green block.

One more green block
Between the RSC blocks and the green strings for my book club quilt, I had few strings remaining when we finished! There are a few; but, not enough variety to piece together for another project!

Remaining strings
Last week, my helper flew home to London with her mama. I was  on my own to pull my yellow strings to stitch one more additional yellow block. 

Four yellow rectangles sewn together
Since my helper and I had pieced some of the outer sections of the rectangles, this process went rather quickly. I missed my helper when it came to the paper removal step, although I will admit to having less bits to pick up from the floor and adjacent surfaces!

One more yellow block
Again by the end, I had a limited variety of yellow strings remaining which is GREAT! The string bag looks like there is a lot; but, it is mainly one fabric.

Remaining strings
I did lay out all the blocks to see what they look like together. Next month, I plan to piece purple blocks to fill in those two blank areas. My original plan was to orient the blocks vertically to resemble diamonds. One day, I put the blocks on the design wall horizontally and saw the 3D effect. I liked this orientation much better because the blocks look faceted. 

Once I piece all the blocks, I'll play with the layout. The layout below is a 72 x 96 configuration. Originally, I was planning  a 60 x 72 "ish" configuration. Borders will be added. These will likely be pieced rectangles using the gray and black strings. Gertie, my inner squirrel, and I will work on the border challenge another day!

Blocks 
Piecing the strings was goal number four on my August list. Linking to Scrap Happy, 


No comments: