 |
| Stitching in the ditch |
Goal number eight on my July
list was to begin quilting the Stars and Stripes challenge. I started stitching in the ditch. I used matching thread in the needle and bobbin to complete the ditch quilting.
 |
| Straight lines for the top and bottom of the project |
At the top and bottom of the project, I stitched straight lines. I had planned to use a blue silk thread and stitch the lines vertically. I abandoned this plan because the thread wanted to lay on top of the fabric and the stitches looked like the tension was incorrect. The vertical lines looked odd because they didn't line up with the striped fabric. I quilted vertical lines on the side borders. I chose to use white thread on the needle and bobbin to quilt horizontal lines that were a quarter of an inch apart.
 |
| Quilting lines in the stripe |
In the stripe, I quilted more straight lines following the print of the stripe. I again used white thread.
 |
| Quilted vertical lines in the star center |
In the center of the star, I quilted vertical lines using blue thread. I continued the theme of a quarter inch spacing for the lines. I had planned to divide the space into quarters and quilt the lines in a "V" shape; but, the vertical lines created the better texture.
 |
| Quilting curved lines |
The quilting remained was the background of the star. I chose to continue the quarter inch spacing and the white thread. I chose a curved quilting ruler to stitch the lines. For the most part, I was able to join the lines from one section to another.
 |
| Evidence of bleeding |
It took me about 14 hours to complete the quilting which seems over the top because the piece measures 20 by 31 inches! I blocked it and some of the red fabric bled. I wet the project again. I started with Dawn detergent and scrubbed the bleeding areas. The bleeding areas lightened; but, were still visible. I tried the Synthrapol detergent process next. The bleeding is mostly out. It is what it is. I can live with it.
 |
| Bleeding area after treatment |
I quilted this project with cotton thread. I matched the bobbin thread to the color of thread in the needle.
 |
| Thread used to quilt the project |
I added a facing and mitered corners. I hand stitched the loose edge of the facing to the quilt back. I added the hanging sleeve and label.
 |
| Label |
I used a yard and a half of scraps to complete this project. I've reduced my stash by two yards this month. I have a net loss of 75 and three quarter yards of stash used this year! With five full months remaining in the year, I'm close to meeting my annual goal of using 100 yards of stash.
 |
| Back of project |
Photos of the front will be shared and this post updated in October after the quilt has been shown in the guild quilt show.
Linking to I Quilted This, Finished or Not Friday and Patchwork and Quilts.
No comments:
Post a Comment