Sunday, June 30, 2024

2024 Temperature Quilt--post 2

Border fabric approved
Goal number five on my June list was to piece the March, April, May and June blocks for my 2024 Temperature quilt. Last month, I pieced the blocks for January and February. Gertie, my inner squirrel, whispered to me that I needed to pick a fabric for the filler blocks. I could locate a fabric from my stash that would work for an outer border.

As the completed row of the month blocks grew, I played with possibilities. My oldest granddaughter popped in for a visit and I asked her for her thoughts. She picked a Kaffe print which was perfect. There is a yard which should work for the border. I thought that I could cut it for filler blocks. The print, however, is so large that I would get a different color for each month. 

Inner border and filler block possibilities

Next, I considered adding a narrow inner border. I chose a brown which was okay; but when I shared with my Friday Sit and Sew group, they suggested to choose an orange or a pink instead. In the stash was a dark pink/red purple that was the winner. 

Filler block auditioning
My plan is to add a one inch finished inner border and at least a three inch finished outer border. For the filler blocks, I had a Kaffe jelly roll. I decided I could part with one of the strips to make the filler blocks (Thank you Sandy P for both of these fabrics and the jelly roll!)  

I opened the jelly roll and looked at the possibilities. I chose two strips in the same print. While I liked the bluer print best next to the geese, the greener strip looked best next to the border fabric.

I am caught up with piecing the blocks. I've sewn the months January through May together. I'm excited about how this project is coming together. 

I'm happy that I was able to use stash fabrics for the project! After I made the 
filler fabric and border decisions,I pieced the January through May rows together. 

January through May
I've also determined that once a week, I'll piece the blocks together and add them to the monthly strip. Moving forward, I should be able to stay current! Next Friday, I'll finish the June strip and add it to the group of strips I've already pieced together.

I've loved using these hand dyed fabrics for the temperature quilts. Unfortunately, I recently learned that Vicki Welsh has closed her business earlier this month so if I decide to continue with this project next year, I'll have to source a new fabric line.

Do you have a preference of Bella Solids made by Moda or Kona Cottons made by Kaufman? I'd appreciate your thoughts both pros and cons!

I'm linking to: Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilting and Cynthia at Oh Scrap!


3 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I don't think I realized that you were using Vicki's hand dyed fabrics for this project. They're just gorgeous! I like the subtle dot that you chose to go in between the monthly rows. The border fabrics will be fun - a great way to use Kaffe prints. I never know what to do with those! I've used both Kona and Moda Bella solids in projects, and I don't know that I have a preference. I recall that the Kona solids fray quite easily, which can be frustrating, but I'm not sure about the Moda ones. Are you thinking about what you will do for next year's temperature quilt? I think Kona actually has put out a suggested range of their colors for temperature values, and you can buy it in a bundle.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How fortunate are you to have Gertie and a sweet adorable granddaughter to give you quilting advice. They are both very wise. Your temperature quilt is looking amazing. The hand dyes are beautiful . Sounds like you have it all worked out on how to stay current and move this quilt along. Have a great week. Hugs.

Vicki in MN said...

Your temperature quilt is looking fabulous! I have seen lots of these quilts but never made one. Does your granddaughter like to sew too?