Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Working My Way Through Clue 8 Indigo Way--Post Five

Partial layout of the blocks
January was the last time that I posted about this project and also the last month that I worked on it!  I had considered going rogue and coming up with my own layout; but, I decided to follow Bonnie's lead instead. I could spend many more hours playing with designs and still not have a finish. Since this may become a Quilt of Valor, finishing it sooner rather than later is important.

Sewing blocks together into a row
Last Friday, I laid out the blocks to check if I had any misaligned. I didn't; but, I did find one block that I had turned one of the half square triangles in a different orientation from the instructions. I found I had made three corners. Four are needed. I had sewn one extra side triangle. With a little unstitching, it didn't take long to convert the side triangle into a corner.

Center complete
I began stitching the blocks into rows. To ensure I didn't turn a block during this part of the process, I pinned the blocks before I picked them up for stitching. I found that I had either pressed the A or the B blocks incorrectly because the seams didn't nest. 

I tried repressing the block; but that didn't work as well as I thought it would. In the end, I found pinning the seam intersection with an anchor pin before it gave me the best results. 

Of course, I didn't learn this until I was stitching the second half of the rows together! Over the three days that I worked on this project, I did a lot of unstitching! When I stitched the two halves together, however, all the seams matched. It was the first seam that I did no unstitching. That was a good way to end that part of the process! 

Piecing the blocks together was goal number seven on my June list. Next up are the borders. There are two skinny borders and one pieced border. I need to determine if I'll make those borders scrappy or use the same fabric. I'll also need to think about what fabric I'm going to use for the binding; but, that is for another day!

I'm linking to Gail at To Do Tuesday,  to Susan at Midweek Makers.and Alycia at Finished or Not Friday.

7 comments:

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

After sewing nothing but clothes when I was young, I was fascinated that quilting required no pins...right up until you really do need to pin! Whatever it takes to get those seams to connect correctly tho. Lovely quilt!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh wow!!! that came along well - sorry about the unstitching!!
but this is just gorgeous!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Indigo Way is looking wonderful, Terry! Pressing all the seams so they nest together can be a tricky thing. I ran into trouble with that on my star quilt. A lot of times you just have to do the best you can! Congratulations on getting this part together - that's a good milestone!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

My gosh, Terry, this is so beautiful! Amazing work and so much of it too! I really don't know how you kept it all straight! I can barely machine stitch flying geese! Feels so good to get this much done, heh. Have a great weekend now!

time4stitchn said...

Love your Indigo way! Your contrast of colors makes the design pop! Great colors and yes, perfect for Quilt of Valor. Bonnie's quilts always have so many pieces, but are such a neat design and/or color combination. Hooray for getting the top together.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your quilt is looking awesome, Terry. Love the patriotic colors. Oh , bummer on the unstitching that is never fun, but I hope it went quickly. Again this is such a lovely quilt. Hugs.

Amy said...

*gasp*
Indigo Way in RWB is simply a meant-to-be combination!
Great progress (and quite inspirational to get my mojo going again)