Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Transparency Borders. . .Do They Work for Your Eye?--post 4

Back in April, my Transparency project was a top that measured 51 inches by 51 inches. I kept telling myself to piece a back and quilt it. I said to myself: finish it. The problem with my thought pattern was that I felt the top needed to be a little bigger so it could be used as a throw. The issue with making it bigger was that I didn't have enough scraps left from the project. . . or did I? 

Top 

Goal number 11 on my June list was to determine if I could add a bit to this project. I pulled out the scraps and had a look. I asked myself, "What if I extended the dark to the top and bottom.?" I looked at the dark blue and dark green scraps. I found I could cut enough fabric to increase the top six inches. If I supplemented the black fabric prints, I could squeeze out another six inches. 

Additional borders 
I carefully cut and stitched the pieces together. The top now measurers 51 inches wide by 63 inches tall. I like the size better. While I may not have maintained the transparency effect, the addition didn't obliterate the technique either. I plan to bind the project in a dark black fabric that I have on hand.

Trimming the scraps 
After giving the top a good press, I began to trim the scraps into usable segments to use on the quilt back. I decided to use half inch seams and to press the seams open to make the back easier for the needle to penetrate. 

Segments for back on the design wall
There were quite a few chunks which I placed on the design wall. Next month, I'll continue piecing the sections into a top. I will have to add some fabric from stash. Using the leftovers for the back will lessen the amount of scraps I'll be putting into my scrap stash!

Advanced applique May lesson
Goal number three on my June list was to complete the May and June embroidery software classes. I got stuck in the May lesson so that was the only lesson that I completed. I spent many hours on the May lesson. There is a challenge lesson too. While I reached a stuck spot, I'm a few minutes away from completing the entire offerings for May. There isn't a July lesson so I'll have a chance to catch up!

Mid way through the May embroidery challenge
I'm linking up to to Carol at To Do Tuesday and Alycia at Finished or Not Friday.


9 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like that, Terry! By keeping your border pieces the same size as the top and bottom segments of the original quilt design and in similar shades of color, they look as if they were meant to be there. This is going to be a beautiful quilt!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Way to go! Your quilt top looks amazing and it is so wonderful that you were able to use fabrics in your stash to extend the border. I really like the effect and love the circles in the borders. Home Tweet Home is adorable as is your owl embroidery. Have a super day, Terry.

Anonymous said...

Those borders look like they are meant to be ! Cute owl embroidery too. I see I am not the only one who is trying to use up my leftovers on the back of the quilt. Gail at the cozy quilter.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, fabulous transparency borders, Terry!!! So complicated, too!!!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

I prefer rectangular quilts also. You did a great job extending the dark into the extra borders so they continue the shape. Fabulous!

Kat Scribner said...

Your Transparency project is very cool. Love it.

Vivian said...

Very interesting transparency project and it works! Always wanted to try that technique.

Vicki in MN said...

That is a really fun quilt! I love how you added to the top and bottom to have a rectangular quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Well I like the way you extended it - with the values you used it looks like it was meant to be!! Well Done!!!