Wednesday, August 2, 2023

July Recap and August Goals

Some of the leftovers from Chilhowie
My July goals were:
✔1. Finish the five inch batik squares top that I started quilting last month.

✒2. Finish Chilhowie. It's back from the quilter and needs the binding, sleeve and label. (Last Sunday, I began working on the binding and writing the label. I need to finish hand stitching the sleeve.)

✖3. Make progress with the quilting of the Lone Star quilt. (Didn't touch the project!)

✔4. Make progress on Preeti's Positively 2023 Sew Along.

Get back to quilting this lone star quilt
✔5. Post about our Greece trip on Wednesdays. Day 1; Day 2; Day 3 Part one;  Day 3 Part two

✔6. Work on catching up with the temperature quilt. (I did insert the blocks I made on vacation. I did finish stitching and inserting the blocks for the left of the border.)

✖7. Determine a layout for the modern challenge. (I have continued to doodle; but, I haven't come up with a design that I've wanted to make. Perhaps, I'll throw in the towel regarding participating in this challenge.)

✔8. Put sleeves on two older quilt projects.

✔9. Write a post about my "stained" glass experience. 

I made progress on my Quilty projects this month which was great. I used some scraps which was even better! I would have made even more progress; but, I encountered a work opportunity and I had more issues with my right knee.

Cutting more background pieces
Regarding the job, I've been going into work every day. The staff person who manages incoming calls and visits to the department that I work, is on an extended leave of absence until September. Staff absorbed a number of her duties; but, they needed help with the calls and the visits.
My supervisor asked if I would work a few hours every day. I agreed!
Looking forward to a couple
of sleepovers

I haven't worked Monday through Friday in years! I still don't work a 40 hour week. Between supervising CPR skill checks, teaching a CPR class and relearning how to forward and transfer calls; I was tired at the end of each day!

This week, I'll be spending three hours a day in the office. I've liked the change. I am getting to know staff that I generally wouldn't come in contact with as a CPR instructor. Staff members are a kind, supportive and helpful group. Work is a joy.

Regarding the knee, I spent a couple weeks being up 17-20 hours out of every day. I was "up" because the pain in my knee would wake me up and I would need to walk a bt to stretch the knee before I could resume sleep.

That knee also swelled to the point I had difficulty squeezing into a pair of pants. Putting on shoes and socks was an ordeal because I was unable to bend my knee.

I called the orthopedic clinic to make an appointment for a second cortisone shot. I learned my records had been transferred to another doctor and was "on the list" for a knee replacement. My chart notes my my March visit contained no information about a second cortisone shot when the pain had returned. Because of my pain level, waiting three months for an appointment was not possible. 

Last week, I was able to have an appointment with a physician's assistant and receive the cortisone shot. Within four days, I was feeling much better. I wasn't getting up every hour on the hour. I do have a virtual appointment scheduled mid August with another physician's assistant to discuss a partial knee replacement which would be scheduled late fall.

Triple Treat leader ender blocks
Between the extra work hours and the knee pain, I either didn't have time to sew or I was in too much pain to sew. While ibuprofen and ice packs did reduce the pain level, I was unable to resume my regular activities of daily living. I missed the studio time and I missed my Zoom sew days with my quilt buddies! It's been a week since the shot and my pain level is a lot less.

My goals for August are:

1. Finish Chilhowie. It is bound. The sleeve and label are pinned in place ready for me to hand stitch each into place. I also need to process the scraps.

2. Have a sleepover with the granddaughters that live near me. The plan is for them to have their own sleepover so they don't have to share their time with me and my husband!

3. Make progress quilting on the Lone Star Quilt.

Continue documenting our Greece trip
4. Continue documenting our Greece trip on Wednesday posts. 

5. In addition to staying current, document
the Temperature quilt. While I have regularly inserted a photo in my recap/goal post, I haven't written a post about this project in months.

6. Play more with square in a square layouts.

7. Come up with an idea and a layout for the next book club quilt.

8. Determine the backing and binding for Positively Grows.

9. Keep making Triple Treat leader ender blocks.




2 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You've had quite a July, Terry! Between work and your knee, plus finishing up some quilting projects, you've been busy! I sure hope your knee gets better - that is never fun. Happy August!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Wednesday, Terry. I am so sorry to hear about how much pain and discomfort that you have been in. I am glad that you were finally able to get a shot and hopefully you will find out about the replacement here soon. It sounds like you have been staying busy . I thought you accomplished a lot on your July goals list. I wish you a fabulous and productive August. Take care, dear.