Sunday, July 30, 2023

Positively 2023

Collection of light and dark leaf fabrics and a background fabric
Goal number six on my June list was to participate in Preeti's Positively 2023 quilt along (QAL). For the last two years, I've watched from the sidelines; but, this year, I hopped in to play too. You can check out the introduction to the QAL here

Background batik and "extra" blocks
I had a batik background fabric in my stash that has been hanging around for years. It was enough for the background of the leaves. I pulled another neutral batik fabric to become sashing and borders. Then, I raided my strip precuts for green strips. I pulled chunks and fat quarters.

A batik fabric in the process of becoming "leaves"

I cut the background pieces. I cut green strips for my leaves as well as a dark purple for my stems. Preeti used brown for her stems.

I selected a couple fabrics for the flowers. At that point, I hadn't decided if I wanted to make the version with only leaves or if I wanted to make the version with leaves and flowers. In the end, I decided a leaf quilt was more masculine than a quilt with flowers. I decided I could always stitch the second version of the pattern later. 

I stitched strips together. Then, I cut "wedges" from the strip sets. Some wedges are bonus blocks which will become another project at a later date! Preeti's bonus blocks worked into a 48 inch square quilt.

Some of the leaf wedges

Piecing leaf blocks didn't take long. However, since I used fat quarters and scraps instead of a jelly roll or strips for the leaves, I needed to piece the fat quarter strips to get the strips long enough. It took some extra time; but, it was worth the effort to use what I had!

Some of the leaf blocks
Goal number four on my July list was to make progress on the sew along. I finished piecing the strip sets and cutting wedges. I began making the leaf block units which were two spacer fabrics and two leaf blocks with a stem sewn between the each leaf/spacer.

Blocks taking shape on the design wall

Watching the rows grow on the design wall was fun. Eventually, I had pieced four rows of leaves. If I were to make this pattern again, I might cut the 16 background strips a quarter inch wider or 4 3/4 inches because my blocks were a little shy of six inches.

Rows of pieced blocks
I cut the sashing and borders from my second batik background fabric. I needed to do a little easing of the borders. My finished top measured 56 inches by 88 inches. I'm only a couple weeks behind Preeti's time table! However, this is the closest to it that I will come to being on schedule! I do like the top! The various leaf fabrics create great interest for my eye. 

Next month, I'll figure out the backing and binding for the project. Last Friday evening, I pulled a couple options for the backing. Of course, neither piece is large enough so I'll need to piece the backing. 

Completed top
This project is on hold until I free up my basting pins. I need to finish quilting my Lone Star quilt and quilt my granddaughter's churn dash block top that I pin basted last month. Maybe I'll get back to quilting these leaves during the winter. I do plan to support Merciful quilts I'm linking to Cynthia and Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework.

Tomorrow is the last day of July. . .I suppose I had better be thinking about what my goal are for August! 


3 comments:

Preeti said...

I am in love with your leaves. Thank you so much for participating. I am telling Bernie to visit your blog too.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That went together quickly, Terry! Your leaf blocks look great, and so does the finished top. My blocks also turned out a little smaller than 6 inches for some reason, but that doesn't really affect the look of the design itself. I need to get back to work on my blocks!

Bernie said...

Hi there! I just learned you are sewing along with us for the 2023 Positivity QAL. Hurray!! Looks like it is really coming along. I hope you will share your finished quilt with us too. Thank you so much!!