Sunday, August 27, 2023

Temperature Project Update

First six days of March

Regarding the temperature top, when I completed the month of February. I thought about taking a photo of the project to that point; but didn't. Instead, I'm sharing a photo of the first six days of March. 

Except for March first which had the low in the 30-34 degree range and sunshine, the low and high temperatures have been in the same range! We've also had rain each day. The high has been between 45 and 49 degrees. The low has been between 35 and 39 degrees. 

In reality, I stitched the same block for ten days! Working on this project has made me aware of how often it rains as well as how small a temperature range many days exhibit! 

At the end of March, we traveled to London to visit our daughter and granddaughter. It was the granddaughter's birthday month and there was a first birthday party organized. We also took with us, our oldest granddaughter, Keira. She turned eleven years old at the end of May. 

With the travel, the sight seeing, I hoped not to get too far behind on this project! I did okay. By the third of April, I

The progress as of August 1. The dark row in the middle of the quilt
denotes the end of 2022 and the beginning of 2023

had finished the blocks for March. I repaired that errant block and I had completed the first two days of April.

Getting caught up felt great! I continued to manage stitching and inserting one block at the end of the day through May. In June, I began piecing and inserting the dark blocks for the border. 

I'm planning to applique the top to the purple fabric that I've used in the spacing diamonds. I needed to insert the dark blocks so that when the end of the year arrives, I'll be ready to begin the applique process. Otherwise, this project could easily become a three year project!

Also in June, we took a family vacation to Greece. I did not bring the top along although, I did bring materials to piece the daily blocks. I did manage to piece the daily block; but, not much more than that! I also thought that I would continue piecing filler blocks for the border which I did a couple of days on the trip.

Miss K helped me piece too.

Learning to English Paper Piece
She has a knack for English Paper Piecing (EPP). Perhaps, we will figure out an EPP project for her to stitch. . .BUT, I digress!!!

July was all about catching up with the insertion of the blocks that I had stitched while we were away. I continued to make the daily block. I also stitched the filler blocks for the border. There were days that I stayed up late to either meet the insertion goal I had set for myself or to ensure that I had made the daily block!

Detail of a corner
August first, I took a photo of the top. I did add all the border blocks for the left side of the quilt. I added all of the blocks for July. It felt great to see it on the design wall. It is growing. By the end of August, it will measure about 44 inches wide by 76 inches tall. It takes me about two hours to cut fabric, piece the block and insert it into the top.

This is a good evening project as my husband and I watch the news and converse about the events of the day.  For the last couple of months, I've been trying to insert two blocks each day. There will be 891 blocks which translate into 1782 hours. There will also be 896 background diamonds. Total pieces in this project will be 2,688! I'm glad I'm past
the halfway mark with construction the top!

View of the project towards the end of August
During August, I have inserted a couple blocks each day. I have added the filler border blocks to the bottom of the project and I'm currently adding filler blocks to the top of the project.

In October, I'll post another update as I ought to have the filler blocks inserted on all the previous rows. My next challenge is figuring out how to add the border. I'm planning a purple five inch border to which I will applique the top. I don't want to lose all those points!

This was goal number five on my August list. I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework.

4 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your temperature quilt looks wonderful! I'm way behind for mine, just stitching April ;))

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is so cool to see this in progress! and what fun to travel to see family. Sounds like you went some lovely places!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is such a fascinating project, Terry! I keep thinking I want to make a temperature quilt, but know it would be easy to get behind. Are you keeping a journal of daily temperatures so that when you're catching up you have something to refer to? Did you decide on fabric colors for temperature ranges before starting? And when you were in London and Greece, did you use the temperatures there or from home? I have lots of questions! Maybe by the beginning of 2024, I'll have a plan! Have a wonderful Sunday!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Your temperature quilt is the most amazing one I've ever seen, Terry!!! I've enjoyed looking through your travel logs, too!!!