Sunday, August 6, 2023

Chilhowie is FINISHED!

Quilting design from the back
My quilter, Christie Curtz gave Chilhowie back to me in April. I love the loop and circle design she chose. It provides wonderful texture. I provided her the 40 weight King Tut variegated thread. The thread color is St. George. Christie used it in the bobbin as well as in the needle.

Variegated thread--St. George

At 78 inches square, the thought of wrangling the mass to stitch the binding wasn't exciting. I put off the task for months! August was my date to finish the project so I could have some time to make progress on another Bonnie project that is in process. Already, I'm planning to participate in Bonnie's 2024 mystery! 

Quilting texture from the front
This time, I pieced the binding using the two and a half inch leftover orange strips from the project. Not having a seam at one of the corners wasn't as tricky as I thought that it would be. I do like the color effect all those fabrics give to the binding. I would piece another binding for a future project. I still have work to do to be more accurate with stitching the binding; but, I improving with each project.

The label started as a piece of machine embroidery that was left on the guild free table. The colors were perfect for this project. I added the pertinent information and stitched two sides into the binding. Hand stitching the other two sides as well as the binding corners didn't take long.

Label started with a piece of machine embroidery

The sleeve came from the waste backing at the bottom of the quilt. I added a couple extra inches to the top and bottom of the backing. Christie started the quilting process close to the top edge of the backing so I was able to cut my sleeve from the bottom of the leftover backing. 

I will give the project a wash to remove all the starch in the fabric I used to prepare the fabric for piecing. I have reclaimed the strips of batting and fabric that I cut away from the top when I bound it. I used 17 1/2 yards of fabric in this project. I did buy five yards of fabric; but my total yards of stashed used this year has grown to 19 1/2 yards!

Finished front
Finishing this quilt was goal number one on my August list. I'm linking to Cynthia and Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework.

4 comments:

Chantal said...

WOW! It's gorgeous! Congrats! You have excellent penmanship for the label. Can you please write my label too? Enjoy! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Congratulations on an amazing finish, Terry! I love the colors you put together for Chilhowie, and the quilting is really pretty with that great color of thread. I bet it is a great feeling to get that done and marked off on your goal list. Have you made other BH mysteries? I've never done one of hers, but they're always such neat designs.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Chilhowie is stunning, Terry! Congratulations of your finish. Bonnie has such sweet designs and the quilting is gorgeous!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

CONGRATS, Terry!!! I made a Chilhowie, too, so I know how much work it was. Beautiful finish, fun quilting, and great job on the label!!! I'm looking forward to the 2024 BH mystery, too!