Sunday, July 9, 2023

Home

Mending the t-shir
Late Thursday night we arrived home after a thirteen day trip to Greece. We explored Athens and the island Naxos. We sampled lots of food dishes. As our son in law put it, we saw a lot of old rocks on hot and humid days! The temperatures were in the 90 with the humidity ranging from 45-86 percent! 

Wednesday posts will be about our trip. My favorite part of the trip was spending time with the family and swimming in the pool with the grandchildren. My least favorite part of the trip was the travel. Coming home was a 20 hour process from the first take off to the final landing
which doesn't include the hour taxi ride to the first airport and the forty minute ride from the last airport to home.

We unpacked once we arrived home. One of the t-shirts that my husband wore on the trip had a loose thread at the hem of one of the sleeves. He pulled it and most of coverstitched hem came with out with the thread. Mending is not high on my list of priorities. This shirt, however, is a favorite of his. After the wash and after I had picked up Joie, my Bernina from the spa, I mended it. 

July blocks ready to be inset to the top
The trip was the perfect opportunity for Joie to receive a tune up. She seems to be stitching most days that I'm in the studio. To be without her is like being away from a dear friend! 

Regarding my temperature quilt: While I have made a block for each day on my temperature quilt, I need to insert the blocks into the top. My goal is to stitch at least two each day until I am caught up. My goal is to be caught up by the end of July.

Yesterday, I finished quilting the border of my five inch batik squares top. Today, I get to quilt the printed pinwheels that I made from the squares that Preeti gifted me. 

Thumb nail sketches

I'm still drawing thumbnails for the square in a square challenge that the small modern group I'm in issued. The perimeter of the finished piece is to measure 150 inches. Rectangle shapes are okay. Setting triangles are okay. Corners need to be square. The background is to be black. Yellow has to be used and one color of your choosing. Fabrics should appear as a solid. The reveal of the challenge has already been held; but, there is still time to play as the show we will share our creations is in April 2024.

All of the granddaughters shared their ideas too. The red line shapes on the back of the page are Miss A's, our youngest granddaughter. Miss J kept her sketches; but, Miss K's are on the other lined notebook paper. I still don't feel like one of these is the one though. I'd be interested if one design is of interest to you. Please leave your thoughts in the comments.

The jet lag is with me and I felt like I caught a cold so I'm staying close to home for another couple of days. I do wake up for several hours each night but am managing a four to five hour nap each night! 

I'm linking to Cynthia and Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. I'm looking forward to reading what other people are creating!

3 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Your trip sounds wonderful, Terry, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. Hope your sniffles are just a little cold that goes away soon and nothing more serious!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's always fun to go on a trip, but feels good to come home and get back to normal again, too! Sorry the jetlag has given you a cold, though. Your challenge sounds like a fun one - I know you'll come up with something interesting!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

It sounds like an amazing trip, Terry. I hope that you are over the jet lag and the cold very soon. I look forward to seeing your progress on the temperature quilt. I am sure you will be caught up in no time. Have a wonderful week. Hugs.